News From Terre Haute, Indiana

January 24, 2014

2nd update: July trial date set in Case homicide

Brother speaks for family at press conference

Staff Report
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A July 14 trial date has been set for a former West Terre Haute man now charged in the 1998 murder of Erika Case.

Clinton Bryan Mackey, 33, requested a public defender when he appeared this morning via video in Vigo Superior Court 1.

The family and friends of 19-year-old Erika Case — including her father, sister, brother and others — sat quietly in the courtroom during the hearing, and at a news conference that followed the hearing.

A family representative — Erika’s brother —  made a brief statement prior to the news conference conducted by investigators at the Vigo County Sheriff’s Department.

“On behalf of our family, I would like to thank all of the law enforcement who have been involved in the past 15 years,” Jury Case Jr. said. “We are grateful that we finally have closure. However, it’s unfortunate that our mother couldn’t be here to witness this day.”

Case was found dead on Sept. 6, 1998, at a home in the Green Valley area where she had been house-sitting for friends. Mackey was one of the last people to see Case alive.

Sheriff Greg Ewing said that he hopes the arrest of Mackey has given some closure to the Case family.

For more information on this story, see Saturday’s edition of the Tribune-Star or return to www.tribstar.com.