News From Terre Haute, Indiana

January 20, 2014

YIPPEE PIE YEA pie judging contest, silent auction fundraiser Jan. 23


News Release

TERRE HAUTE — Do you have a favorite pie recipe? Think it’s pretty good? Then consider putting it to the test on National Pie Day (Thursday, Jan. 23) with the Senior Education Ministries’ inaugural “Yippee Pie Yea” pie judging contest fundraiser and silent auction from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds.

Entries for pies will be accepted at the Wabash Valley Banquet Center (located at the fairgrounds) between 10 a.m. and noon today. Pies will be scored on appearance (10 percent), crust/filling (40 percent) and overall flavor/taste (50 percent).

Entry fee is $25 (plus two identical pies).

To enter, download an application and a copy of the rules at senioreducationministries.org or pick up one up at the fairgrounds office. The contest is open to businesses, health care facilities and individuals.

Celebrity judges include will include: Terre Haute Mayor Duke Bennett; Dana Winklepleck of WTWO TV; Lindsey Monroe of WTHI TV, Stacey Muncie of Terre Haute Living; Mark Bennett from the Tribune Star; Paul Ford of  WPFR/WKZI/WLHW Radio; Wade Fulford from GFS Marketplace; April Osburn from Clabber Girl; Abby Jones from Columbian Home Products and Stacey Faith of the Vigo County  Extension office.

Judging begins at 1 p.m., and the winning pies will be announced immediately following the judging. The silent auction will end at 3 p.m. Pies will be for sale after the contest.

The first place winner will receive a grand champion award and trophy. Ribbons will be awarded for second abd third places and honorable mention.

Coffee and refreshments will be available for purchase. Additionally, pie-related games will be offered including “Moon Pie Shuffleboard,” “Pie-tin Frisbee Toss,” “Yippee Pie Yea Pie Walk” and “Panty Hose Pie Polo.”

All Proceeds from the Yippee Pie Yea contest and silent auction will benefit Senior Education Ministries and the programs it provides to the senior communities.