News From Terre Haute, Indiana

June 4, 2014

Charges reduced for one suspect in recent homicide

Formal charges were filed on Wednesday

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Formal charges have been filed in a May 28 homicide that occurred in Terre Haute.

In addition to felony murder, a class-A felony charge of robbery resulting in bodily injury has been filed against Cody L. Morgan and Ashley N. Lynch for their alleged involvement in the death of Steven Vicars-Goings.

Morgan has also been charged with class-C felony failure to stop after an accident resulting in death.

Morgan and Lynch appeared via video in Vigo Superior Court 6 on Wednesday to hear the formal charges filed in their cases.

Also appearing via video was co-defendant Jostin L. Pentzer, who was formally charged with assisting a criminal, a class-C felony. He was originally arrested on a preliminary charge of felony murder, but that charge was not formalized against him on Wednesday.

The three defendants were in a pickup truck driven by Morgan when the death of Vicars-Goings occurred, police said.

Terre Haute Police were called to the intersection of Fifth and Swan streets at about 11 p.m. May 28 to investigate a body in the road. Vicars-Goings was pronounced dead at the scene, and a witness told police that he saw Vicars-Goings hanging from the side of a truck before falling into the road where he was run over by the truck.

Investigators determined that Morgan was driving the truck. Lynch and Pentzer were passengers in the truck, along with another person. Police have named Alex Hallett-Miles as a fourth suspect in the investigation; however, they have not been able to locate him.

Pentzer’s criminal charge, as read by Judge Michael Lewis, indicates that after the death of Vicars-Goings, Pentzer drove Hallett-Miles to a bus station and purchased a bus ticket so that Hallett-Miles could leave the area. Police reported that Hallett-Miles was in the back seat of Morgan’s truck trying to get Vicars-Goings to let go of the truck.

Police have said the incident stems from a plan by the occupants of the truck to take illegal drugs from Vicars-Goings and drive away from him without paying for the drugs. However, Vicars-Goings grabbed onto the truck and would not let go for several blocks before he fell off.

An autopsy determined that Vicars-Goings died from multiple head and chest injuries.