TERRE HAUTE —
Possible pool locations reviewed by the Vigo County School Corp. Rationale for not using provided by Superintendent Dan Tanoos.
• ISU Memorial Stadium — not centrally located; availability issue
• Meadows Elementary School — neighborhood residents previously opposed elderly housing project in that area; not centrally located; would be 7.7 miles from West Vigo High School. (The site is 1.8 miles from North and 4.8 miles from South)
• ISU property (13th and Chestnut streets) — ISU will use for secondary entrance to campus. Also, contiguous 8 acres of land not available, would require acquisition of homes.
• Chauncey Rose track — 4.5 acres, too small
• Kerman Grotto — School district preferred choice, most central location, but engineers pointed to geotechnical issues. It is in a floodway and the cost was $200,000.
• Thompson Honda on First Street — less than 4 acres and $2 million
• EBC property (13th and College, former Shenango) — just 7.1 acres and $6 million approximate cost
• Joe Card property (South First Street) — would have been a land donation; former Western Tar plant site
• Indiana 46 and I-70 — not centrally located, particularly for West Vigo High School
• Fairbanks Park — city has future plans for property
• ISU property on North First Street — ISU has plans to develop it.
• Page’s market property — $715,000: “Out of our price range,” Tanoos said.
• 13th and Hulman property — contamination issues, although it’s being remediated
• Terre Haute Boys and Girls Club on Third Street — $2 million and lot is too small
• Sixth and Poplar (former Bedino chapel) plus additional surrounding property from former YMCA building — at least $440,000 and land limited
On Friday, Tanoos indicated that Riverscape favors use of the International Paper property along Prairieton Road, but it would cost $500,000 and might have other issues, he said.