News From Terre Haute, Indiana

June 29, 2013

Fire heavily damages Jade Garden

Tribune-Star staff report
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A fire in the kitchen heavily damaged the Jade Garden restaurant near the Honey Creek Mall on Friday.

Terre Haute firefighters were first called to the scene at 11:43 a.m. Friday for heavy smoke and fire in the kitchen.

Battalion Chief Ron Steiner said five people inside the building exited the structure before firefighters arrived at the scene, and no injuries were reported.

A restaurant employee reported that the fire started in the kitchen and the cook did not realize that the flames had spread into ductwork and the attic of the building, Steiner said. The fire has been labeled accidental.

The fire came through the roof and sent heavy smoke across the commercial area.

The last firefighters cleared the scene at 2:55 p.m.