As Hoosiers are still battling the frigid temperatures and gusty winds, officials continue to work around the clock to keep roads open, although travel on all roadways remains hazardous. The Indiana State Police still urge citizens to avoid all but emergency travel. Northern Indiana roads remain a major travel concern although roads all over the state remain dangerous. As of 9 this morning, the following major roads are closed:
1. I-65 from Indiana 26 (Lafayette) to U.S. 30 (Merrillville) remains closed but is expected to re-open later this morning. Indiana State Police and INDOT officials are working closely together as a plan is being formulated to get this stretch of roadway re-opened. Once this roadway has been re-opened, updated information will be released.
2. I-70 Eastbound at Indiana 267 (66 mile marker) currently closed due to a crash. This closure is only temporary while officials investigate the crash and is expected to re-open later this morning or sometime this afternoon.
3. I-65 northbound between the 76 mile marker and the 95 mile marker due to numerous jackknifed semis. This closure is also temporary and northbound I-65 should be opened later this morning or this afternoon as soon as officials clear the roadway.
Once again, the Indiana State Police are advising travel in counties under a red travel advisory should only be for emergency purposes. To see the current travel status in your county, go online to www.in.gov/dhs/traveladvisory. Travel in these counties is extremely hazardous and should be avoided unless there is a life-threatening emergency that requires the need to travel.
Hoosiers should avoid calling state, county and local law enforcement dispatch centers for road and weather updates. Instead, tune into your local radio station or TV news channel or call the statewide road and weather line at 800-261-7623. This Indiana State Police link — www.in.gov/isp/2332.htm — will take you to an overview page that includes these useful links:
• Situational Awareness for Current Winter Storm
• INDOT Road and Weather Sensors
• National Weather Service
• IDHS County Travel Status Map
For the latest information from State Police on the winter storm, visit www.in.gov/isp/3096.htm. This page reads and flows like a blog page and will be updated throughout this winter weather event.