News From Terre Haute, Indiana

December 17, 2013

Wood sentenced for part in fatal shooting

Plea agreement drops murder charge

The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A Terre Haute man received a 10-year prison sentence in connection with a burglary attempt that involved a fatal shooting, but he was ordered to serve five years in community correction followed by five years of probation.

Reginald L. Wood Jr., 23, was ordered to serve 21⁄2 years in the work release program followed by another 21⁄2 years in the in-home detention program of Vigo County Community Correction.

Vigo Superior Court 3 Judge David R. Bolk also ordered him to perform 200 hours of community service within a year of being placed on probation.

Wood was charged with murder and burglary in the April 18 shooting death of 26-year-old John T. Gregory Jr. of Terre Haute. Both Wood and Gregory sustained gunshot wounds after they allegedly kicked in an apartment door in the 1000 block of North Eighth Street, and the apartment resident responded with a handgun.

Gregory and Wood both ran from the scene after being shot. However, Gregory died later at an Indianapolis hospital. Wood was treated for a gunshot wound to his torso.

In court on Tuesday, John Gregory Sr. told the judge that Wood and his son were friends, and he did not agree with the murder charge filed in the case because it was not Wood who shot his son, it was the apartment resident.

The plea agreement reached in the case dropped the murder charge. Deputy Prosecutor Charles Osmon argued for a 12-year sentence for Wood, saying that Gregory would not have been shot if not for the conspiracy between Wood and Gregory to break into the apartment and commit burglary.

Wood made a statement in court, apologizing to the victim of the burglary, Gregory’s family and his own family.

“My actions from that night resulted in the loss of a good friend,” Wood said, adding that being in jail gave him time to think about his choices. “My actions have caused a lot of pain and heartache to people I care about.”

The judge ordered Wood to be moved into work release as soon as an opening in the program is available.