Deep gratitude during tragic time
Five weeks ago, our family suffered an immeasurable loss with the sudden and unexpected death of our dear Erin Marie Shook and baby Finnley. Erin was our daughter, sister, niece, cousin and friend. We all, including Erin, looked forward with excitement to the upcoming birth of her baby Finnley. Although the events of that day were unbearably tragic, we have all taken solace in the outpouring of love from the community and the kindness of strangers. Erin’s family would like to thank the following people:
Thank you to the Operating Engineers who immediately arrived at the scene and lifted the van off of Erin.
Thank you to all of the responders on the scene who worked diligently to help Erin.
Thank you all to three stations of the Honey Creek Fire Department. You provided Erin with immediate assistance in a caring and compassionate manner.
Thank you to the Vigo County sheriff’s department for your assistance.
Thank you to Lifeline Helicopter for recognizing the urgency of the situation and transporting Erin to Methodist Hospital.
Thank you to Methodist Hospital and the surgeons, nurses and doctors who worked tirelessly in a brave effort to save Erin and Finnley.
Thank you to the citizens who rushed to Erin’s side. We would like to give special notice to the minister who stayed with Erin on the road until she was life-lined and the woman who picked up Erin’s daughter Lena immediately following the accident. We don’t know your names but we are grateful for your kindness.
Thank you to Erin’s close friend Brittney Isles for starting an education fund for Erin’s surviving children.
Thank you to Kohl’s and Vigo Dodge. These businesses placed compassion above the bottom line and generously donated their services to a family during its greatest time of need.
Thank you to the couple in line at Kohl’s for donating a gift card to Erin’s surviving children.
Thank you to all of those who donated food and to Beta Sigma Phi for preparing the house during the funeral so that Erin’s family had a comfortable place to return to after the funeral.
Thank you to the co-workers of Kenneth Shook.
Thank you to Callahan-Hughes Funeral Home.
And, finally, we would like to thank the entire community of Terre Haute for their outpouring of concern, care, compassion and love. In such dark times as this, the kindness and love of the community has been overwhelming. Thank you for making us proud to be members of this great community.
Although these events have been overwhelmingly tragic for us as a family, all of you have provided us with just a little light to get through our days.
With the deepest gratitude …
— Kenneth Shook (father), Debra Gregory Vincent (mother), and the entire family of Erin Marie Shook and baby Finnley
Deep gratitude during tragic time
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 1, 2014
• Defying the laws of God
• Correcting the written record
• Hands of $$ from Redevelopment
• Celebrity visit for celebration
Readers’ Forum: June 30, 2014
• Don’t be victim of home repair scam
• Ending unfair tax practices
Readers’ Forum: June 29, 2014
• The sexual revolution strikes again
• Country sinks to new lows
• Saddened by the headlines
• Opinions not same as facts
• Letter meets with approval
• The real ‘truth’ sometimes hurts
• Applause for great musical
• Raising minimum wage hurts us
• Gratitude to camp sponsors
• More to the city’s mosquito problem
- Readers’ Forum: June 27, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 26, 2014
• Misunderstandings about the lovely, messy mulberry
Flashpoint: Address growing cyber threats
Over the past several months, we have seen firsthand that threats to our nation’s cyber security are real and growing.
- Readers' Forum: June 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 24, 2014
• Be careful in extreme heat
• Public workers serve us well
• Show us those mustache posters
Readers’ Forum: June 23, 2014
• It’s not hate, it’s just the truth
• Lousing up a very good day
Readers’ Forum: June 22, 2014
• Traffic signals need attention
• Current, future state of Iraq
• ISU focusing on returning adult students
• Activist’s passion for a better world
• Don’t waste your vote yet again
- Readers' Forum: June 20, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 19, 2014
• Coroner ruling seemed ‘absolute’
• Abusers should get what they deserve
Readers’ Forum: June 18, 2014
• Kasem lent voice to help animals
• What are we paying for?
Readers’ Forum: June 17, 2014
• Standing against same-sex unions
• JA seeks alumni for celebration
Readers’ Forum: June 16, 2014
Criticism of coroner ruling based on false assumptions
Readers’ Forum: June 15, 2014
• D-Day stories still spark deep emotions today
• A cold case that deserves new attention
• Don’t change this Indy 500 tradition
• Indoctrination, not education
• Superb service from car dealer
• Great book recommended
Readers’ Forum: June 14, 2014
Disputing ‘facts’ of recent letter
- Readers’ Forum: June 13, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 12, 2014
• D-Day stories are worth remembering
• Tommy John speech handled with class
• No apologies
- Readers' Forum: June 11, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 10, 2014
• More frustration with gas prices
• Give vets health care they deserve
• Divine law still right to follow
• The real threat Americans face
Readers’ Forum: June 9, 2014
• Riley students ready to advance
• Feeling deprived north of Wabash
- More Letters Headlines
- READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014