Deep gratitude during tragic time
Five weeks ago, our family suffered an immeasurable loss with the sudden and unexpected death of our dear Erin Marie Shook and baby Finnley. Erin was our daughter, sister, niece, cousin and friend. We all, including Erin, looked forward with excitement to the upcoming birth of her baby Finnley. Although the events of that day were unbearably tragic, we have all taken solace in the outpouring of love from the community and the kindness of strangers. Erin’s family would like to thank the following people:
Thank you to the Operating Engineers who immediately arrived at the scene and lifted the van off of Erin.
Thank you to all of the responders on the scene who worked diligently to help Erin.
Thank you all to three stations of the Honey Creek Fire Department. You provided Erin with immediate assistance in a caring and compassionate manner.
Thank you to the Vigo County sheriff’s department for your assistance.
Thank you to Lifeline Helicopter for recognizing the urgency of the situation and transporting Erin to Methodist Hospital.
Thank you to Methodist Hospital and the surgeons, nurses and doctors who worked tirelessly in a brave effort to save Erin and Finnley.
Thank you to the citizens who rushed to Erin’s side. We would like to give special notice to the minister who stayed with Erin on the road until she was life-lined and the woman who picked up Erin’s daughter Lena immediately following the accident. We don’t know your names but we are grateful for your kindness.
Thank you to Erin’s close friend Brittney Isles for starting an education fund for Erin’s surviving children.
Thank you to Kohl’s and Vigo Dodge. These businesses placed compassion above the bottom line and generously donated their services to a family during its greatest time of need.
Thank you to the couple in line at Kohl’s for donating a gift card to Erin’s surviving children.
Thank you to all of those who donated food and to Beta Sigma Phi for preparing the house during the funeral so that Erin’s family had a comfortable place to return to after the funeral.
Thank you to the co-workers of Kenneth Shook.
Thank you to Callahan-Hughes Funeral Home.
And, finally, we would like to thank the entire community of Terre Haute for their outpouring of concern, care, compassion and love. In such dark times as this, the kindness and love of the community has been overwhelming. Thank you for making us proud to be members of this great community.
Although these events have been overwhelmingly tragic for us as a family, all of you have provided us with just a little light to get through our days.
With the deepest gratitude …
— Kenneth Shook (father), Debra Gregory Vincent (mother), and the entire family of Erin Marie Shook and baby Finnley
Deep gratitude during tragic time
Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014
• Stamp of approval
• Great job, WAXI
- Readers’ Forum: July 30, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 29, 2014
• Anything goes with the liberals
• Deserter does not deserve discharge
• Outrage lacking on IRS scandal
Readers’ Forum: July 28, 2014
• Tea party folks misunderstood
• We have only us to blame
- Readers' Forum: July 27, 2014
Flashpoint: Why incumbents keep getting re-elected
Nearly three-quarters of Americans want to throw out most members of Congress, including their own representative, yet the vast majority of incumbents will be returning to Capitol Hill in January.
Flashpoint: Spreading the good word about marriage equality
If you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.
- Readers’ Forum: July 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014