More respect for land, people
I have two articles that I would like to give my thoughts on, both being in the Monday, April 14 paper.
The first is in regards to Mike Lunsford’s “One man’s trash is, well another man’s trash.” I was taken aghast to what the Lunsfords found on that 1,500-foot stretch. In a time when man’s knowledge is increasing, is this the mentality and moral discrepancy that we of the Wabash Valley have fallen to?
I received hope from Mark Bennett’s articles on cleanup, recycling and the possibility in our state for a deposit return for bottles, etc. Looking more intently now, I have to yet find a major drink bottler without states that already have this in operation. Maybe we can get paid for something that nature or our upbringing tells us we shouldn’t do anyway.
The second article was from AP, titled “Driver ordered to give anti-speeding talk, Brazil schools say ‘No.’” I have reread this article four times and I read of “Akers” in it. I am trying to remember if an article I have ever read began to speak about a judge without identifying him/her as such, let alone referring to them by their last name only. This would be in regards to any place, but we are very thankful for our judges, judicial administrators and those who serve us in Clay County.
I don’t believe the article was poorly written as it was proofread. By the way, his name is Judge J. Blaine Akers.
My conclusion on this short treatise is that we as a whole need to get back to R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Respect for our land, respect for our authorities.
— Thomas L. Roeschlein, Brazil
More respect for land, people
Readers’ Forum: Aug. 1, 2014
• Oppose killing, vote for peace
• Unbiased truth of property taxes
• Bravos for plays by young thespians
Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014
• Stamp of approval
• Great job, WAXI
- Readers’ Forum: July 30, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 29, 2014
• Anything goes with the liberals
• Deserter does not deserve discharge
• Outrage lacking on IRS scandal
Readers’ Forum: July 28, 2014
• Tea party folks misunderstood
• We have only us to blame
- Readers' Forum: July 27, 2014
Flashpoint: Why incumbents keep getting re-elected
Nearly three-quarters of Americans want to throw out most members of Congress, including their own representative, yet the vast majority of incumbents will be returning to Capitol Hill in January.
Flashpoint: Spreading the good word about marriage equality
If you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.
- Readers’ Forum: July 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: Aug. 1, 2014