An attack of hypocrisy
So Shirley Thomas feels like a vulnerable little dove surrounded by vicious birds of prey, huh? That’s kinda what I took away from her latest (April 6) letter to this forum, anyway. Poor little thing, all that “bashing” by the “bully,” William Thiel and “his compatriots,” and their “ugly, personal attacks” on her. They “belittle [her] and make fun of [her].” It’s OK, though, because when they attack her personally, it only makes them “look ugly and ill-informed.”
Atta girl, Shirley, you tell ’em. Stay on the high ground, don’t lower yourself. We all know you wouldn’t resort to those tactics, would you?
Oh, that’s right, I almost forgot your gratuitous, unprovoked attack on me on Jan 16, 2010, when you laid into me for my opposition to Obamacare, expressed in a letter on Jan. 9, 2010. Among other things, you implied that I did not want to be accountable for my “service charges.” You also said you would “bet” that I would turn away patients who couldn’t pay, or that I would “do the old trick of charging them less” in order to charge insured ones more.
Aside from the fact that that is one of the more idiotic statements I’ve ever heard, you were launching a vicious personal attack on me because I held different political views than you. You also just made up the whole thing. You don’t even know me or how I conduct my practice, or anything else about me, just that I don’t agree with you. Pitiful.
You also wondered just how much I volunteered to the poor of the area who couldn’t pay me, and then you said, “I’ll bet not much.” There it is again, the unprovoked personal attack that regular readers will recognize as a routine feature of your letters.
You also doubted that I and others like me would actually quit medicine if Obamacare came in, because “you would no more leave a job that pays you in six figures than I would marry Brad Pitt.” So, ya wouldn’t marry ol’ Brad, huh?
Oh well, we’ll leave that for another discussion. Nevertheless, there you go again, assuming I am some kind of bad guy because I have different views than yours, and you complain when it happens to you, playing the part of the poor little dove being attacked by the vultures.
I usually feel your letters are undeserving of replies, but when the hypocrisy rises to the level above, well …
— James E. Stephens, M.D., Brazil
An attack of hypocrisy
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 1, 2014
• Defying the laws of God
• Correcting the written record
• Hands of $$ from Redevelopment
• Celebrity visit for celebration
Readers’ Forum: June 30, 2014
• Don’t be victim of home repair scam
• Ending unfair tax practices
Readers’ Forum: June 29, 2014
• The sexual revolution strikes again
• Country sinks to new lows
• Saddened by the headlines
• Opinions not same as facts
• Letter meets with approval
• The real ‘truth’ sometimes hurts
• Applause for great musical
• Raising minimum wage hurts us
• Gratitude to camp sponsors
• More to the city’s mosquito problem
- Readers’ Forum: June 27, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 26, 2014
• Misunderstandings about the lovely, messy mulberry
Flashpoint: Address growing cyber threats
Over the past several months, we have seen firsthand that threats to our nation’s cyber security are real and growing.
- Readers' Forum: June 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 24, 2014
• Be careful in extreme heat
• Public workers serve us well
• Show us those mustache posters
Readers’ Forum: June 23, 2014
• It’s not hate, it’s just the truth
• Lousing up a very good day
- More Letters Headlines