Nominations open for Polaris award
Terre Haute North Vigo High School is proud to announce that nominations are currently being accepted for the Polaris Award for Patriots of Purpose. This award has been created in honor of Carl S. Riddle, Terre Haute North’s original North Star, and school’s first principal, who through his constant and steadfast leadership established meaningful traditions and guided Patriots to their highest level of excellence.
Nominations will be accepted annually to recognize three current or former staff or alumni who have brought distinction to North Vigo High School through meaningful personal, professional or civic accomplishments.
A nomination form can be found on the Terre Haute North High School web page (vigoschools.org/~thnvhs).
The Polaris Awards recognition banquet will be held on March 14, 2014, at Stables Steak House.
Previous award winners include: Carl S. Riddle, Katherine Utley, Curt Brighton, Clyde Kersey, Jim Eslinger and Susan Smith Roades.
Should you have questions about the Polaris Award, please contact PolarisAward@vigoschools.org or call 812-462-4312.
— Scott M. Moore
North Vigo High School
Frustrated by city’s response
My patience with Terre Haute has finally reached an end.
I’m mixed up in this mess they call the Margaret Avenue Project, where the city is buying all the homes on the righthand side of the road, destroying the houses, and building a so-called “needed” highway. Renters were offered a small amount to get out. We had no choice. But the money had to be used for rent, or to buy a home. I chose to buy, and the house I decided on had to have some remodeling done.
After a couple of months, and a lot of complaints on my part, the city paid part of the money, but still holds onto the rest. The new house passed inspection, so there shouldn’t be a problem, but folks, it’s Terre Haute we’re dealing with. I should have known better.
My question is, has any of the other displacees (that’s what they call us) had any trouble with the city?
I can’t move, I can’t budge, so where do we go from here? It would be interesting to get some feedback on this.
— Rita Wallace
Thank you to two gentlemen who helped a handicapped lady get up from the parking lot at Grand Traverse Pie Company Restaurant on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 9.
Using a walker her hip gave way and she was in pain and very embarrassed.
God bless you both.
— Jeanette Hall
Nominations open for Polaris award
Readers’ Forum: Aug. 1, 2014
• Oppose killing, vote for peace
• Unbiased truth of property taxes
• Bravos for plays by young thespians
Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014
• Stamp of approval
• Great job, WAXI
- Readers’ Forum: July 30, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 29, 2014
• Anything goes with the liberals
• Deserter does not deserve discharge
• Outrage lacking on IRS scandal
Readers’ Forum: July 28, 2014
• Tea party folks misunderstood
• We have only us to blame
- Readers' Forum: July 27, 2014
Flashpoint: Why incumbents keep getting re-elected
Nearly three-quarters of Americans want to throw out most members of Congress, including their own representative, yet the vast majority of incumbents will be returning to Capitol Hill in January.
Flashpoint: Spreading the good word about marriage equality
If you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.
- Readers’ Forum: July 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: Aug. 1, 2014