TERRE HAUTE —
Bennett was still wrong
Regardless of the bipartisan apologist gang of two, and the private school Principal Cam Savage from Tony Bennett’s staff writing an accusatory editorial and the denials of any wrongdoing by the guilty, we still have the fact that Tony Bennett cheated on the A-to-F grading law to make it work for political benefit.
Hypothetically, what if Bennett made the cheating “fair” by raising everyone’s grade? The system that he ignored in doing so was passed into law by the Republican legislature and signed into law by Mitch Daniels as governor. What gave him the right to change it to avoid political embarrassment?
The law was not repealed or altered by lawmakers; it was broken by Tony Bennett.
Every time the number of schools whose grades went up increases, being broken gets a little closer to being pulverized. So what is next? Probably cries of, “… you didn’t build it, we did. The students of Indiana broke it, so we fixed it …”, and so, the fix was in … and “fix it” they did.
When will the members of the Republican Party who are at fault accept responsibility for their actions of undermining the rest of their party, of scuttling the financing of Indiana schools and of the disastrous destruction that they have called “educational reform” that is hell bent on destroying the public school system of Indiana? Do they think that the electorate is stupid?
Do they not know that their own law was broken by them because it didn’t work?
Does anybody really think that the voters are going to forget this mess by election time? Do the Republicans of Indiana still fantasize being credible in anything that they say or do after tolerating the shenanigans by the radical fringe members of their party, especially after what these anarchists did to Indiana’s great Sen. Richard Lugar in the Republican primary?
— John Garner
TERRE HAUTE —
Bennett was still wrong
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 1, 2014
• Defying the laws of God
• Correcting the written record
• Hands of $$ from Redevelopment
• Celebrity visit for celebration
Readers’ Forum: June 30, 2014
• Don’t be victim of home repair scam
• Ending unfair tax practices
Readers’ Forum: June 29, 2014
• The sexual revolution strikes again
• Country sinks to new lows
• Saddened by the headlines
• Opinions not same as facts
• Letter meets with approval
• The real ‘truth’ sometimes hurts
• Applause for great musical
• Raising minimum wage hurts us
• Gratitude to camp sponsors
• More to the city’s mosquito problem
- Readers’ Forum: June 27, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 26, 2014
• Misunderstandings about the lovely, messy mulberry
Flashpoint: Address growing cyber threats
Over the past several months, we have seen firsthand that threats to our nation’s cyber security are real and growing.
- Readers' Forum: June 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 24, 2014
• Be careful in extreme heat
• Public workers serve us well
• Show us those mustache posters
Readers’ Forum: June 23, 2014
• It’s not hate, it’s just the truth
• Lousing up a very good day
- More Letters Headlines