Great support for Clay Habitat
Habitat for Humanity of Clay County is very grateful to everyone who blessed us with their support for our fish fry and silent auction April 13. Together we reached our goal of raising $2,500 to be matched by the Wabash Valley Community Foundation Grant. You made it possible for us to turn $2,500 into $5,000.
We received excellent publicity from the Brazil Times, Clay City News and Tribune-Star. Terre Haute First and Riddell Bank put the event on their kiosks. Churches and businesses kindly shared the information. The result was wonderful attendance from our community. We also appreciate Terre Haute Savings Bank and Seasoned Wick for selling advance tickets.
Habitat sends a special thank-you to Peniel Church for sharing their tables and chairs and all the churches and individuals who donated delicious desserts. Bowling Green United Methodist Church loaned their trays and had workers for the dessert tables which we appreciated. The Brazil National Guard Armory was great to work with for our event.
We appreciate donations from Jack's Fine Foods, Pepsi, Pilot McDonalds, First Financial Bank, and Riddell Bank. Long John Silvers also helped us.
We thank everyone who attended or worked to make the event a success. It was a team effort.
Our silent auction had many wonderful items and services from area businesses and individuals that were sincerely appreciated. Two talented individuals gave us items they made for the auction. An anonymous donor gave two beautiful quilts and a lovely afghan. Clifford Robertson made two creative squirrel feeders for us to auction.
Area businesses that donated to the silent auction were Fun Time Fitness, Olde Homestead Shoppe, YMCA, Curves, Pizza Hut, Papa John’s, Hardee’s, Brazil Subway, Maurizio’s, Harmony Diner, Lynn’s, Dairy Queen, Coffee Grounds, Kroger, Natalie and Brian Pierce Perk Me Up Coffee, Mayberry Malt Shoppe, Pizza Gallery, Bob & Angie’s, Miller IGA, Burger King, Pilot McDonalds, Pilot Subway, Petro Restaurant, Timberland, Bob Burkle Ford, York Chevrolet & Buick, Bob Bowen Ford, Warren Tire, Mike’s Muffler, Hoosier Arms, Aerial Fireworks, NAPA, Brazilian Lanes, Brown’s Flying School, A+ Printing, Alicia Reed Thomas at Family Eye Care, Luxury Nail Salon, A Cut Above, Fiesta Salon, Reflections Salon, Stephanie Jeffers Lia Sophia Jewelry, Dr. Ross at Brazil Family Dentistry, Gary Nesty at World in Focus Eye Care, Old Fashioned Jewelry Shoppe, Lamb’s Mowing Service, Seasoned Wick, Sugar & Spice, and ISU Foundation.
Support was also given through donations by Six Flags, Indiana Ice, Caribbean Cove, Kings Island, Indianapolis Indians, Cincinnati Reds, Indiana Fever, Steve Weatherford, kicker for the NFL Giants, and the Pacers.
Habitat will be building our eighth home with Angie O’Leary and her family at 703 S. Chicago Ave. in Brazil. We are able to build because of the continuing support of our community. Your donations are evidence of “faith in action.” Your support is a blessing.
— Cheryl Steuerwald
Habitat for Humanity
Great support for Clay Habitat
Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014
• Stamp of approval
• Great job, WAXI
- Readers’ Forum: July 30, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 29, 2014
• Anything goes with the liberals
• Deserter does not deserve discharge
• Outrage lacking on IRS scandal
Readers’ Forum: July 28, 2014
• Tea party folks misunderstood
• We have only us to blame
- Readers' Forum: July 27, 2014
Flashpoint: Why incumbents keep getting re-elected
Nearly three-quarters of Americans want to throw out most members of Congress, including their own representative, yet the vast majority of incumbents will be returning to Capitol Hill in January.
Flashpoint: Spreading the good word about marriage equality
If you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.
- Readers’ Forum: July 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014