Why is alcohol so prevalent?
Am I stupid or what? I do have somewhat of an education, but for the life of me, I cannot answer why alcohol is such an important part of our society.
Why was it a few years ago when I worked for an insurance company and was invited to a big party down at Paint Mill Lake that there had to be alcohol flowing by the kegs? And why is it that after the adult softball games and the adult baseball games, there has to be lots of drinking? And why is it when there are weddings, there has to be lots of alcohol? And why is it that alcohol is such a big deal at all the college frat and sorority houses? And why is it that all the high school parties have to have illegal alcohol to have a good time?
And why is it that some parents allow their underage kids to drink and to go out and carouse? And why do the parents drink and go out and carouse? And why don’t schools educate about alcohol as an addictive drug? And why don’t churches educate the youth about what the scriptures teach about alcohol and that Christ turned the water into wine to show His deity, not to say that it is good?
What is wrong with our alcoholic society? Why do we so much support the large alcohol industry and complain about the gas companies?
Please address the alcohol problem in our community before more teenagers get killed and raped, in the name of “fun”. We do not have to be like the community in Ohio that recently had a similar problem with football players. We can be better than this if we set higher standards and examples for our young people.
This is just my opinion, but what do you think?
— Ben Johnson
West Terre Haute
Why is alcohol so prevalent?
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 1, 2014
• Defying the laws of God
• Correcting the written record
• Hands of $$ from Redevelopment
• Celebrity visit for celebration
Readers’ Forum: June 30, 2014
• Don’t be victim of home repair scam
• Ending unfair tax practices
Readers’ Forum: June 29, 2014
• The sexual revolution strikes again
• Country sinks to new lows
• Saddened by the headlines
• Opinions not same as facts
• Letter meets with approval
• The real ‘truth’ sometimes hurts
• Applause for great musical
• Raising minimum wage hurts us
• Gratitude to camp sponsors
• More to the city’s mosquito problem
- Readers’ Forum: June 27, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 26, 2014
• Misunderstandings about the lovely, messy mulberry
Flashpoint: Address growing cyber threats
Over the past several months, we have seen firsthand that threats to our nation’s cyber security are real and growing.
- Readers' Forum: June 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 24, 2014
• Be careful in extreme heat
• Public workers serve us well
• Show us those mustache posters
Readers’ Forum: June 23, 2014
• It’s not hate, it’s just the truth
• Lousing up a very good day
- More Letters Headlines