TERRE HAUTE —
Disgusted, saddened by Christian leaders
I applaud Carl Hooley (Jan. 15) and Randy Piatt (Jan. 17). The issue of whether or not God condones homosexuality is clear. There are many scriptures that set it out as abhorrent, decadent and an abomination to God. However, the issue before us is whether or not to approve of homosexual marriages.
The word marriage has been defined in our culture and in scripture as one man and one woman. So, who are these people who want to change the definition? And why is it even being considered? It is like a few people wanting to change the name Twinkies to Barfies.
Homosexuals have the right to live as they choose, just as you and I do. They do not have the right to pick a Christian institution (marriage) and mold the definition of it to their desires. Gays, pick your own word for your coupling and let’s put this issue to rest. There are other issues going on in our nation that could use this much attention. Is it possible this issue is a smoke screen to keep us so busy that we don’t see what else is going on?
I am disgusted and sad that people who claim to be Christian teachers and leaders would spew out this un-Christian view and try to back it up with Scripture. I challenge any one of them to show Scripture that defines marriage as a union between one man and one man, or one woman and one woman. Shame on you, you know better if you study the scriptures at all.
God destroyed cities that were rampant with this type of behavior. That Ms. Zelensky and other like-minded people call their church “Christian” is an insult to God and genuine Christians. James 3, among other scriptures, states that pastors/teachers/elders will be held to a higher standard than those they teach; and will receive stricter judgment. Matthew 18:6 and Mark 9:42 (Jesus speaking), and other places in Scripture, clearly set out what Christ thinks of those who lead others away from His teachings.
I am not a pastor or a Ph.D. I’m just a sinner, saved by grace, but I hope everyone reading this will consider these scriptures and act accordingly. God is a God of love; He offers the gift of eternal life to those who follow Him, but he is also an angry God and will not tolerate forever those who work against Him and lead his people astray. He has a place for them, too.
God owns this earth and all that is in it. He created it so He makes the rules. Don’t mess with them. How horrible, for those who continue to do so, when the day of Judgment comes, and it will.
— Lois Little
TERRE HAUTE —
Disgusted, saddened by Christian leaders
Readers’ Forum: Aug. 1, 2014
• Oppose killing, vote for peace
• Unbiased truth of property taxes
• Bravos for plays by young thespians
Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014
• Stamp of approval
• Great job, WAXI
- Readers’ Forum: July 30, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 29, 2014
• Anything goes with the liberals
• Deserter does not deserve discharge
• Outrage lacking on IRS scandal
Readers’ Forum: July 28, 2014
• Tea party folks misunderstood
• We have only us to blame
- Readers' Forum: July 27, 2014
Flashpoint: Why incumbents keep getting re-elected
Nearly three-quarters of Americans want to throw out most members of Congress, including their own representative, yet the vast majority of incumbents will be returning to Capitol Hill in January.
Flashpoint: Spreading the good word about marriage equality
If you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.
- Readers’ Forum: July 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: Aug. 1, 2014