TERRE HAUTE —
God discriminates, why can’t we?
Prior to the ducky debacle that was the firing of Phil Robertson from (but subsequent reinstatement to) A&E’s “Duck Dynasty”, Susan Estrich wrote a column that appeared in this newspaper's issue of Dec. 23, in which she hoped that Robertson would be fired for his intolerance of homosexuals.
Estrich said that the network has the right to fire Robertson. If that’s the case, doesn’t the United Methodist Church have just as much of a right to punish (or fire) Rev. Frank Schaefer (which she decries in her piece) for disobeying the Book of Discipline, the church’s rules and doctrine, by officiating at his gay son’s wedding?
How ironic that Estrich is being just as intolerant of Robertson and the UMC as they (in her view) are. Why can’t she be fired for intolerance? It shouldn’t be a one-way street.
Bishop Peggy Johnson acknowledges that “(s)everal statements in our Book of Discipline are discriminatory.” Well, that shouldn’t be surprising; God is discriminatory. Someone has to be discriminated against and denied entry into heaven. If everyone were to be accepted into heaven, what would be the point? Heaven is a place of reward for those who please Him.
Jesus says in Matthew 7:21-23 (in part): Not every one who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter into the kingdom of heaven … Many will say to me … “Haven’t we prophesied, cast out demons, and done many wonderful works in your name?” And then I will declare unto them, “I never knew you. Depart from me, you workers of iniquity.”
Robertson evidently used the term “homosexual offenders” in his GQ interview, and Estrich assumes they are offenders not because being gay violates the law, but because they offend Robertson. I would go one step further and say that they offend Robertson because they offend God. (That’s not hard to figure out.)
I wonder if Estrich is not offended by adulterers, drunkards and swindlers who are also mentioned in I Corinthians 6:9,10 (quoted by Robertson).
God calls homosexuality an abomination (Lev. 20:13), the meaning of which is “something that is disgusting, detestable, vile, and abhorrent.” Romans 1:26,27 tells us that the homosexual act is against nature.
Therefore, the gay person should use self-control in not acting on his/her sexual impulses, just as one should if experiencing the impulse to have sex with a child or someone else’s wife, among other things.
The Bible is quite clear about where God stands on the issue. If Estrich doesn’t like it, maybe she can tell Him so on Judgment Day.
— Randy A. Piatt
TERRE HAUTE —
God discriminates, why can’t we?
Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014
• Stamp of approval
• Great job, WAXI
- Readers’ Forum: July 30, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 29, 2014
• Anything goes with the liberals
• Deserter does not deserve discharge
• Outrage lacking on IRS scandal
Readers’ Forum: July 28, 2014
• Tea party folks misunderstood
• We have only us to blame
- Readers' Forum: July 27, 2014
Flashpoint: Why incumbents keep getting re-elected
Nearly three-quarters of Americans want to throw out most members of Congress, including their own representative, yet the vast majority of incumbents will be returning to Capitol Hill in January.
Flashpoint: Spreading the good word about marriage equality
If you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.
- Readers’ Forum: July 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: July 31, 2014