TERRE HAUTE —
I am a big fan of the Trib-Star, having been a subscriber ever since I arrived in Terre Haute 12 years ago, but I am deeply troubled by the decision to allow the publication of the hate letter written by Ramachandra B. Abbyankar. He quotes extensively an anti-Islam website that, under the guise of opposing Islamic terrorism and fundamentalism, ends up denigrating Islam itself (Thursday, April 4, 2013), even calling for the eradication of Islam.
It also contains numerous defaming comments about the religion that I will not repeat since I do not want to give the insensitive and dangerous content of this letter any more play in the community than it already has had. The fact that the quoted website is supposedly from former Muslims makes it no less incendiary or more worthy of being published.
I am not a Muslim but I am proud to say that I have been blessed with good friends who are devout Muslims, who are proud to be American, who are law-abiding, who want to raise their children in peace and who want peace and security for all their fellow Americans. I am happy to live in a city and work at a university where people of all faiths can feel welcome.
Above and beyond making serious devout Muslims feel unwelcome, this letter contributes to an atmosphere of intolerance, bias and hate, which can all-too-easily lead to hate crimes by narrow-minded individuals who want an excuse to intimidate and even hurt people who aren’t like them (I hope we can all remember the horrific hate crimes against loyal American Muslims after the 9/11 attacks and which, sadly, have not stopped).
I am all for free speech, but not when it seriously undermines the welcoming, tolerant and respectful community we pride ourselves in being and potentially threatens the safety and security of our Muslim visitors, friends and neighbors.
— Dr. Arthur Feinsod
Professor of Theater
University Honors Program
Faculty Advisor to the
ISU Interfaith Fellowship
Indiana State University
TERRE HAUTE —
Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014
• Clinic will expand basic health access
• Misunderstanding truth about Islam
- Readers’ Forum: July 23, 2014
Readers’ forum: July 22, 2014
• Supt. Ritz has right to govern
• A tribute to a teacher
• Rep. Pelosi shows ‘bungling idiocy’
Readers’ forum: July 20, 2014
• ‘Hotel Indiana’ has a sour tune
• Kind words about the newspaper
• Some questions about RTL video
• No mercy for cop killers
• Crack down on gun violence
• Anti-Dem tirades mask GOP failures
• Important day for participants
• Appreciation for support
FLASHPOINT: Solve our border crisis
More than 60,000 unaccompanied alien children — mostly from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — have been apprehended on America’s southern border during this fiscal year.
Flashpoint: Will Gov. Pence be true to his word?
This is written in response to recent remarks made by State Board of Education members.
- Readers’ Forum: July 18, 2014
READERS’ FORUM: July 17, 2014
• Civil rights and burning cities
• Quality service from Baesler’s
FLAHSPOINT: Supt. Glenda Ritz ‘creating conflict’
It has been my pleasure for the past year to serve as the newest member of the Indiana State Board of Education. I bring a fresh perspective to the board as an attorney and business executive who served as Director of Economic Development under former Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson and President of the Indy Partnership, a regional economic development organization charged with recruiting new companies to our state.
Readers’ Forum: July 16, 2014
• The truth about property taxes
Readers’ Forum: July 15, 2014
• Are Fed policies hurting America?
• Staying true to code of respect
Readers’ Forum: July 14, 2014
• Where did the 61 cents go?
Readers’ Forum: July 13, 2014
• Telling the truth about smoking
• Larger energy bills on the way, thanks to EPA
• Embrace the compassion, not self-righteousness
• Wondering about country’s leaders
• New amendments have hurt country
- Readers’ Forum: July 11, 2014
READERS' FORUM: July 10, 2014
• Herb Faire a great success
• Appreciation for a ‘lovely angel’
• Thanks for stirring fireworks show
Readers’ Forum: July 9, 2014
• Don’t eliminate our six-day mail
• Zamperini death stirs memories
Readers’ Forum: July 8, 2014
• T-S ignores common decency
• Lighten up on Donald Sterling
• Time to reject Dems in Congress
• Fueling the EPA
Readers’ Forum: July 7, 2014
• The moral issue is major issue
Readers’ Forum: July 6, 2014
• Coats ignoring climate science
• Do those mustache posters exist?
• Utility rate freeze took determination
• What perversion is next in line?
• Opinions vary, but voters will decide
• This preaching must stop — now
• Golf fundraiser a huge success
- Readers’ Forum: July 4, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 3, 2014
• Over the top on immigration
- Readers’ Forum: July 2, 2014
Readers’ Forum: July 1, 2014
• Defying the laws of God
• Correcting the written record
• Hands of $$ from Redevelopment
• Celebrity visit for celebration
Readers’ Forum: June 30, 2014
• Don’t be victim of home repair scam
• Ending unfair tax practices
Readers’ Forum: June 29, 2014
• The sexual revolution strikes again
• Country sinks to new lows
• Saddened by the headlines
• Opinions not same as facts
• Letter meets with approval
• The real ‘truth’ sometimes hurts
• Applause for great musical
• Raising minimum wage hurts us
• Gratitude to camp sponsors
• More to the city’s mosquito problem
- Readers’ Forum: June 27, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 26, 2014
• Misunderstandings about the lovely, messy mulberry
Flashpoint: Address growing cyber threats
Over the past several months, we have seen firsthand that threats to our nation’s cyber security are real and growing.
- Readers' Forum: June 25, 2014
Readers’ Forum: June 24, 2014
• Be careful in extreme heat
• Public workers serve us well
• Show us those mustache posters
- More Letters Headlines
- Readers’ Forum: July 24, 2014