News From Terre Haute, Indiana

March 4, 2014

Brazil girl badly burned in Monday fire

Family in need of clothing

Tribune-Star staff report
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — A 6-year-old girl suffered second- and third-degree burns to her lower extremities in a Monday morning fire at 313 S. Vine St. in Brazil.

The girl was initially taken to St. Vincent Clay Hospital and then to Riley Hospital for Children, said Jake Bennett, Brazil fire chief. The girl is doing well, he said, but was expected to undergo skin graft surgeries.

The fire occurred in a rental home about 7:30 a.m. Monday.

The mother awakened and heard her daughter crying; she went down the hallway and found her daughter on a couch that was in flames.

The mother took her daughter and 4-year-old son outside. The daughter had third-degree burns on her legs and second-degree burns to her feet and back, Bennett said.

The girl was alert and had no serious injury to her airways.

The fire was caused by an oscillating space heater in the room where the two children were sleeping. The space heater “was too close to combustibles,” he said.

The family lost most of their belongings and Bennett said the structure appears to be a total loss.

The woman’s 8-year-old daughter was at a friend’s.

The apartment did not have smoke alarms, which could have prevented injuries, he said.

Brazil police and Transcare Ambulance also responded to the fire.

  The family is in need of donated clothing:

• Girls clothes 6/7 in pants and shirts. Size 1 shoes.

• Boys clothes 4/5 in pants and shirts. Toddler size 10 in shoes.

• Women’s clothes size 11 pants, shirt size 2XL. Size 9 shoes.

The clothes can be dropped off at 413 W. Church St. in Brazil at the home of relatives.