TERRE HAUTE —
Hard to believe, but the Terre Haute Bowling Center is ready to run its 20th — count ’em — 20th Team Shootout next Saturday and Sunday (Oct. 30-31).
The format of this popular early season tournament hasn’t changed much through those two decades.
Basically, this is a four-person (man or woman) team event, drawn in a A-B-C-D format based on average. In other words, entrants names will be ranked based on average, with one bowler from each of the four groups placed on a team. After 10 games, the high team score is the winner.
Bowlers must carry a 180-average or better. Entry fee is $70, guaranteeing five games per day. Saturday’s shift begins at 1 p.m., while Sunday’s is at 11 a.m. Entries are due by midnight on Wednesday.
This year’s event is sponsored by First Financial Bank and Pepsi Cola.
Visit www.terrehautebowlingcenter.com for more information.
• • •
Vigo Bowl will be hosting their version of the Team Shootout just a few weeks later, on Nov. 20-21. Entry fee is $70, five games each day, but their low average is 185 to determine.
Times for this tournament is Saturday at 1 p.m., Sunday at noon.
Also on “tap” at Vigo Bowl in the future are a couple of other tournaments:
• Thanksgiving Day No-Tap Doubles — This event is on, you guessed it, Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 25). Shifts are at 5:30 and 8:30 p.m. Cost is $18 prior to the tournament, $20 on the day of the tournament.
• Terre Haute Youth Scholarship Sport Shot Open — This event is open to all youth bowlers on Jan. 1 (noon) and 2 (9 a.m.). Cost is $30. Entries are due by Dec. 4 so shirts can be ordered.
Visit www.vigobowl.com for more information.
Speaking of their website, check out the menu for “Brown’s Diner”, a recent addition to Vigo Bowl, run by Tom Brown. We’ll have more on that in a future column, because Vigo Bowl owner Gordon Geckeler informs me the food is terrific.
• The 700 Club season is already off and running too.
Their first tournament of the season was the Baker Team Tournament at Paradise Bowl in Clinton on Oct. 17. We’ll try to get results for a future column.
Upcoming events include:
• Nov. 14 — Scratch Singles, Terre Haute Bowling Center, 11 a.m.
• Dec. 5 — Scratch Doubles, Imperial Lanes, 11 a.m.
• Jan. 16 — 27th Floyd Morgan 700 Club/YABA Tournament, Vigo Bowl, 11 a.m.
• Jan. 30 — Scratch Singles, Vigo Bowl, 11 a.m.
• Feb. 13 — Trio Tournament, Brazilian Lanes, 11 a.m.
• Mar. 20 — Blind Draw Doubles Tournament, Terre Haute Bowling Center, 11 a.m.
• Apr. 17 — Blind Draw Doubles Tournament, Imperial Lanes, 11 a.m.
All are points tournaments except the final event on Apr. 17. The overall points leader will honored as 700 Club Bowler of the Year at the annual Terre Haute Bowlers Hall of Fame and Recognition Dinner in May.
Officers this year are Bryan Barton (president), Darrell Davis (vice-president), Bill Chance Jr. (secretary-treasurer) and Carol Davis (tournament director).
Dennis Clark can be reached at dennis.clark@tribstar. com