News From Terre Haute, Indiana

September 2, 2012

LOOKING BACK: 1962: 5,000 fans out for Football Jamboree

Dorothy Jerse
Special to the Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.



n The Indiana Old Time Fiddlers hosted a Fiddle Fest at Gilbert Park on Labor Day. At Fairbanks Park, Robert Merritt cooked ham and beans for the Wabash Valley Central Labor Council dinner following the parade.

n The Council presented awards to Ed Ping, Donna Seprodi, Randy Shaw, John Trueblood, Peter Ciancone, Judge Barbara Brugnaux and UNITE! Local 1426 at the annual awards dinner. Bill Treash was the council president.

n A ceremony at Twigg Rest Area on U.S. 40 marked the completion of the first phase of the National Road Heritage Trail.

n The parking pattern on Fourth Street between Cherry and Ohio was changed from parallel to angle, producing 17 additional parking spaces.

n Vigo County School Corp. students Nathan Thornton, Joel Cook, Kiersten Kummerow Brown and Ethan Sperry were among the 400 students in grades 5-8 named as semi-finalists in the annual Discovery Channel Young Scientist Challenge.

n The annual Fall Classic Horse Competition was staged at the Mari Hulman George School of Equine Studies at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College with 500 entries.


n The third “Civil War Days” at Fowler Park included an aerial display re-creating the bombardment of Fort Sumter.

n The Indiana State Sycamores, coached by Dennis Raetz, won their fifth season opener 55-0 over Salem College. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology with Coach Scott Duncan posted a 14-9 season opening win over Mac Murray College.

n The 18 new restaurants which opened in 1986 brought 353 full-time and 267 part-time jobs to Vigo County. Two restaurants had closed during the year.

n A number of U.S. Navy war veterans, who had been V-12 and V-5 trainees at Indiana State Teachers College during World War II, met for a reunion on campus. The first Navy trainees had arrived on Feb. 11, 1943, and were housed in Parsons Hall. The initial enrollment of 400 in 1943 had dwindled to about 150 in 1945.

n Cross country competition: The Sycamore Pride 5K run was sponsored by Indiana State University and Pacesetter Sports at Memorial Stadium. The Terre Haute North Patriot Invitational for high school teams was held at Deming Park.


n Anna Winn of Rosedale, a member of the Retail Store Employees Union, was honored with the 1962 Labor Day Queen crown, The competition was sponsored by the Vigo County Labor Council.

n The Rev. James A. Rowe of Louisville, Ky., was named pastor of the Maryland Community Church.

n Vera Diel Baesler celebrated 25 years of operation at her Charm Beauty Salon, 907 Wabash Ave.

n About 5,000 fans came to Memorial Stadium for the Football Jamboree. It was the first time West Vigo and Honey Creek were part of the competition with Garfield, Gerstmeyer, Schulte and Wiley high schools.

n Osco Drug Inc. opened its newly completed store at 667 Wabash Avenue. Troy Burnett was the manager.

n The Wheaton Glass Co., Third and Voorhees streets, had been purchased by the American Can Co. and was renamed the A-W Glass Corp.

n Carosi’s Restaurant, 1616 Lafayette Ave., introduced daily noon lunches. Virginia and Gilbert Aird had taken over the management in May from its founder, Orienzio “Mike” Carosi.