Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• More than 2,000 persons participated in the Wabash Valley Susan G. Komen Foundation Race for the Cure on the Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College campus to raise funds for breast cancer research and education. Vicki Kosowsky was the Wabash Valley affiliate board president.
• A. J. Patton, Terre Haute North Vigo High School student body president and current governor of Hoosier Boys State, was appointed to the Indiana Youth Institute board of directors.
• Coca-Cola artifacts and memorabilia, mostly contributed by the Root Family Foundation, were sold to the highest bidders on the Vigo County Historical Museum lawn. Music, tours, food and ice-cold Coca-Cola in bottles were also part of this benefit event.
• The Imperial Lanes, established 40 years before at Third and Chestnut streets, was undergoing renovation. Phil Cooper was the general manager; Dave and Sandy Alumbaugh the owners.
• First Financial Bank announced it would pay more than $3.1 million in mortgage escrow tax accounts to Vigo County. This early payment would help the county which was delayed in issuing property tax bills because of reassessment.
• Citizens for a Clean County, organized six weeks before to oppose BASF Corp. from locating in Vigo County, sponsored a fall festival at Fowler Park.
• A tornado destroyed homes and left more than 20 of the 200 residents homeless in Libertyville in northwest Vigo County.
• Duane Klueh was the grand marshal for the 189-unit Indiana State University Homecoming parade.
• Charles M. Clark, Vigo County School Corp. interim superintendent, was the recipient of the John K. Lamb Award at the Terre Awards luncheon. Terre Award winners were Arthur Mayes, Cliff Lambert, Ralph Livengood, Arthur Dawdy, David Kirkman, Dr. Donald Yates, Harry Frey, Dick and Ann Burchell and Floris Petty.
• Linda Burger, Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in Terre Haute, took over the former McKinney Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealership in Olney, Ill. Burger was the first woman put in a dealership through the Chrysler program and the first woman to buy it out.
• “A Health Style Workshop,” co-sponsored by the YWCA and Regional Hospital, featured Marla Keller, WTHI-TV anchor, Dr. Grace Lee Walker, family practice, and Pat Murphy, psychologist.
• Dr. Frank E. Sayers, a retired physician who had practiced in Terre Haute from 1922 to 1949, was inducted into the Fifty-Year-Club of the Indiana State Medical Association.
• Chapman S. Root of Terre Haute and Daytona Beach and president of the Associated Coca-Cola Bottling Plants, Inc., acquired the Tampa Coca-Cola Bottling Co. and 1,600 acres of citrus land to be operated as the Shawnee Groves Corp.
• Construction began on a new clubhouse for Terre Haute Eagles Lodge No. 291 on the southeast corner of Third and Farrington streets. The present clubhouse at 641 Cherry, in use since 1917, was purchased by J. B. Pfister & Co. Lodge membership was approximately 600.
• Ken Martin, Tribune-Star photographer, was elected president of the Daguerre Club of Indiana, a group which worked toward raising the standards of professional photography.
• Farmer’s Chapel Community Church, located seven miles south of the city on First Street Road, hosted its annual Fall Festival with Gene Hartley and Hariette Drake as general and vice chairman.