Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
On Aug. 31, about 50 members and friends of the Hanna family attended a dedication ceremony at the Historical Museum, where we accepted the keystone from the Kaleel and Sadie Hanna General Store. The store was established in 1907 in the vicinity of Third and Eagle streets. It housed a retail area, a billiards room and a warehouse, as well as sleeping rooms on the second floor.
A plaque, which tells the story of the Hanna General Store and celebrates the Hanna family as the first Christian Syrian-American family to settle in Terre Haute, was also presented to the museum. These two gifts to the collection are dedicated to the memory of Kaleel and Sadie Hanna, who exemplified the achievement of the American dream.
Both the keystone — the first of its kind in our collection — and the plaque will eventually be displayed in the “Immigrant History” section of the new museum.