News From Terre Haute, Indiana

April 28, 2013

1988: 700 teachers unite in protest

Dorothy Jerse
Special to the Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — 1988: 700 teachers unite in protest

Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.

2003

• The Greater Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce honored the Terre Vin Winery in Rockville, Thompson Thrift and Terre First National Bank with awards.

• Pfizer Inc. announced the elimination of its Terre Haute Animal Health Division and the termination of 40 employees. The Veterinary Medicine Research facility, opened the previous August, was to be vacated.

• The annual Workers Memorial Day was observed by union members at Deming Park to remember workers killed or injured on the job.

• Coaches Jim Jones of Terre Haute North Vigo and Janis Ludeks of Paris, Ill., were named Co-Coaches of the Year for the high school basketball season by the Tribune-Star.

n It was the end of an era when Indiana State University men’s tennis team, coached by Peter Magnusson, lost to Wichita State for the Missouri Valley Conference championship. The loss was the Sycamores’ first in a MVC match since 1998.

• A Tribune-Star editorial urged residents to vote in the May primary election—“any vote is a good vote.”

1988

• At least 700 teachers were absent from their Vigo County School Corp. schools as part of a job action to protest lack of progress in contract negotiations. School was dismissed for the day. John Bitzegaio, president of the Vigo County Teachers Association, said, “For the first time in history, schools in Vigo County closed due to a united effort by teachers.”

• Conrad Gregory, formerly Case IH supervisor of engineering services, was hired as Vigo County’s new air pollution director.

• The Terre Haute Boys Club honored Antone Allen, all-star basketball player (Boy of the Year), John Smith (Friend of Youth) and Barry Powell (Community Service).

• Plans were revealed for the construction of a $6 million shopping center north of the junction at U.S. 41 and South Seventh Street. Wal-Mart, major anchor tenant, was expected to employ 150 persons.

• Indiana Grocery announced the closing of Lowell’s Food Store in Plaza North Shopping Center. The 22 employees were to be reassigned to stores at K-mart Plaza, Southland Center, West Terre Haute and Brazil.



1963

• The Vigo County School Corp. awarded this combination of contracts for operation of the 91 school buses for the coming school year: Terre Haute Transit Co. (15), Baker Enterprises (13), individual bidders (46) and the VCSC itself (17).

• The First Baptist Church of North Terre Haute celebrated its golden anniversary. The church became a permanent congregation when it met in the IOOF Hall in North Terre Haute on May 2, 1913. J. C. Durr was the present pastor.

• The 1913 graduating class of the Union Hospital Training School for Nurses celebrated its 50th anniversary. Four of the six graduates still living were Rosamond McKamey Cannaday (California), Ruth Fredenberger Easley (Clay City), Mary Wyeth McLaughlin (Riley) and Mignon Warrick Shaffer (Terre Haute).

• The traditional Wiley High School Annual Revue, “Centime Capers” named for the school’s centennial celebration, was sponsored by the Student Council with faculty sponsors Paul Hardesty and Robert Bilsland. Leslie Bain was the Wiley band director, and Jerry Sparks, a Wiley alumnus attending Indiana University, the emcee.