TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• Mayor Judy Anderson proclaimed Oct. 8 as “Eddie Taylor Day” commemorating the late Taylor’s 41 years (1916-1957) of service to the city as a Tribune and Star carrier. He had lost his lower arms in a sawmill accident before he began selling newspapers on the corner of Seventh Street and Wabash Avenue.
• Ray Watts, Vigo County treasurer, was chosen to fill the vacated Vigo County recorder’s position at a Democratic caucus, and former Vigo County Sheriff Bill Harris was named Vigo County treasurer.
• The KAE Corp. purchased the historic Indiana Theater from Earl and Tina Elliot, Debbie and Robert Gurman, and Mark and Gayla Thiemann. Kathy Kaperak-Aleshire was the KAE president.
• Rodney A. Crider was named executive director of the Terre Haute Area Economic Development Corp., successor to the former Alliance for Growth and Progress. Claudia Tanoos was the assistant director.
• Bryce Melton, Terre Haute South Vigo High School freshman, was the only Indiana student among the 40 finalists in the Discovery Channel Young Scientist Challenge. Carol Tolin, Honey Creek Middle School teacher, was his sponsor.
• The Welsh Coal & Coke Co. of New Boston, Ohio, purchased the Indiana Gas & Chemical Corp., 13th and Hulman streets, which had been closed since June. Charles Welsh, company president, said, “Terre Haute is where we want to be.”
• Terre Haute South Vigo High School had the first Vigo County girls golf team in history to compete in the state finals. Team members Ellen Royse, Anne McLaughlin, Tricia Leminger, Beth Peo and Jennifer Hamilton placed eighth in the 15-team competition. Bob Arnett was the coach.
• A Tribune-Star opinion poll showed “about one-half of those surveyed were concerned about the effect that a proposed BASF Corp. plant would have on the environment, but more than one-half wanted the plant built here anyway.”
• Mike Powell and Tim Walker, owners of Rally’s on South Third Street, announced they would open new restaurants at 3175 Wabash Avenue and 3440 Riverside Plaza.
• Gary Brett resigned as executive director of the Vigo County Area Planning Department, a post he had held since 1960.
• The new South Side Church of the Nazarene, 1901 S. Fourth St., and its new parsonage were dedicated. The Rev. A. A. Ketterman was the pastor.
• Ray & Walls’ TV Sales & Service, 1231 Lafayette Ave., invited baseball fans to drop in and view the telecast of the World Series on a new Admiral color television set.
• Ralph G. Baxter was named director of the Vigo County Dept. of Public Welfare to succeed Marie Ward Yaw, director for the past 12 years.
• The Newcomers Club’s annual clothing drive for the Vigo County Infirmary and the Glenn Home was now complete. Mrs. Charles E. Crispin was the chairman.
• The Pik-Nik Drive-in, 1300 N. 13th St., introduced 25-cent “baby charco burgers, baby French fries, and baby chocolate shakes for kiddies and diet-conscious adults.”
• About 180 Rotarians and their wives attended the 50th anniversary banquet in the Terre Haute House Mayflower Room. The Terre Haute Rotary Club was chartered in 1913, the first service club in the city and the second Rotary club in Indiana.