News From Terre Haute, Indiana

October 21, 2012

LOOKING BACK: 1987: Ed Asner wins Eugene V. Debs Award

Dorothy Jerse
The Tribune-Star

---- — 2002

• Big Lots was moving from 1100 Locust St. south to occupy the former County Market grocery store at 4650 U.S. 41 South.

• Terre Haute North Vigo and Terre Haute South Vigo high school marching bands were awarded top ratings in the Indiana State School Music Association regional contest at Memorial Stadium.

• Newly printed T-shirts were in great demand at West Vigo High School. Printed on the front of each shirt: “West Vigo Football, Undefeated Regular Season, 9-0,” and on the back “2002 WIC Champions.” The Vikings, coached by Dave Cassell, were the county’s first high school football team to post an undefeated regular-season record since 1973 when the South Vigo Braves achieved a 10-0 record.

• The Rev. Jackie Means, the first female Episcopal priest to be ordained, was the new vicar at St. George’s Episcopal Church in West Terre Haute.

• Garvin & Lidster Auto Service, 2331 S. Seventh St., was adding a steel building with four automobile bays to the west of its existing building.

1987

• A Tribune-Star editorial reported the Alcan Rolled Products layoff translated into a loss of $18 million in annual income and a 12 percent drop in manufacturing employment. On the plus side, it read, “Alcan didn’t close its doors entirely; the company, the union and community agencies were working together; and we’ve weathered these storms before.”

• Attorney Darrell Felling was elected president of the new Concerned Citizens Regarding the Airport Coalition. The group hoped to continue a good relationship between the airport and its neighbors.

• The Community Theatre International Film Series continued with the weekend showings at the Weldin Talley Theatre, 1431 S. 25th St. The film series was launched in 1954; Patrick and Regina Harkins had been in charge since 1984.

• Actor and activist Ed Asner was presented with the Eugene V. Debs Award at the annual Debs Foundation banquet.

• Ground was broken for the 104-bed Southwood Health Care Center at 22nd Street and Margaret Avenue. When completed, Southwood would be Nationwide Management Inc.’s 20th nursing home operated by the company.

1962

• A group of 16 Jaycees were on an Industrial Safari to Detroit to tell the “Terre Haute Story” to executives of more than 60 industries. Dick Schuessler and Art Hagan were the co-chairmen.

• A full-page Kroger advertisement read: “Our stores are union, one hundred percent!” Store managers included Sherman Hunt (Meadows), Clayton Alexander (Southland), Orman Black (12 Points), and Terry Henderson (Second and Walnut streets).

• The second Sabin Oral Sunday (SOS) was held at 16 centers for 53,560 participants to receive a second dose of the polio vaccine placed on a lump of sugar. The project was considered “the greatest mass program success in local history.”

• The public was invited to the grand opening of the Harrold Beauty Academy, 2232 Wabash Ave. Con Harrold, nationally recognized artist, offered instruction in the most complete Beauty Culture course in the area.

• The Gerstmeyer High School team, already winner of the Wabash Valley and Vigo County titles, won the Western Indiana Conference Cross Country team title at Paul Cox Field.