News From Terre Haute, Indiana

November 30, 2013

LOOKING BACK: 1963: McDonald’s adds filet o’ fish to menu

Dorothy Jerse
Special to the Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.

2003

• The “Ribbon of Hope” monument on the south side of the City Hall lawn was dedicated in remembrance of victims of crime. The monument was designed, built and donated by Jones Tool Machine, employer of Doreena Javins whose son Scott was missing.

•  Terre Haute Regional Hospital offered tours of its new 36,000-square-foot emergency room and intensive care unit.

•  Cam Cameron, former Terre Haute South Vigo High School star athlete and currently with the San Diego Chargers, was named to the 25th anniversary team by the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

•  Steve Chernay, bus service manager, reported the Terre Haute bus service finished in financial black for the 2003 year. The Americans with Disabilities Act service accounted for more than 14,000 of the city’s 160,000 bus fares.

•  Indiana State University, the Terre Haute Human Relations Commission and the Greater Terre Haute Branch of the NAACP were organizing “Terre Haute United Against Hate” in response to the destruction of the CANDLES Holocaust Museum.

•  Lt. Col. Jeff Hauser succeeded Col. Gary Peters as commanding officer of the 181st Fighter Wing Indiana Air National Guard.

1988

•  Mayor P. Pete Chalos and the Alliance for Growth & Progress announced the Meis building and two adjacent buildings on Wabash Avenue would be torn down. The estimated $200,000 cost for the demolition would be paid by the Alliance.

•  The new Farrington Grove Elementary School, 1826 S, Sixth St., was dedicated. Before the ceremony, Circuit Court Judge Robert H. Brown administered the oath of office to school board members Sandra Aldridge, William E. Jukes and Phillip Raspberry who had won re-election.

•  Walden Apartments, constructed about 1915 at Seventh and Chestnut streets, were being razed. Indiana State University basketball coach John Wooden and his wife Nell had lived in one of the apartments during the late-1940s.

•  Gail Nattkemper and Brenda Williams co-chaired Tri Kappa’s 16th annual House of the Christmas Mouse. Children were greeted at the Elks Annex entrance of Tirey Memorial Union on the ISU campus.

•  Kaye Rafko, Miss America of 1988, was the keynote speaker at the sixth annual Hospice of the Wabash Valley dinner at the Holiday Inn.

1963

•  A banquet and dinner at the Terre Haute House were highlights of the 100th anniversary celebration of Wiley High School. More than 1,100 reservations had been made for the banquet where James Mitchell, Miriam Silverstein Rubenstein, Harold Katz and Ray S. Cline were recognized as distinguished alumni. Vane Rutherford and E.V. Halt were the principal and assistant principal.

•  The Tribune-Star Publishing Co. advertising staff honored Harry E. Rau, who was retiring after a 43-year career in the advertising field.

•  Seven floats were the highlights of the annual Christmas parade along Wabash Avenue. The event had been postponed one week because of the JFK assassination.  Then the five high school bands had to cancel their participation because the temperature was below freezing.

•  Members of the Rotary, Optimist, Lions, Jaycee, Kiwanis, High Twelve and Civitan clubs and the Terre Haute Clergy Association met in a joint community luncheon to observe Religion in American Life Month.

•  McDonald’s, Seventh and Poplar streets, added “excitingly different” filet o’ fish sandwiches to its menu — 24 cents each.