News From Terre Haute, Indiana

October 31, 2009

GENEALOGY: Confederate pension records out there for the asking

By Tamie Dehler

Last month I wrote a series of articles on finding and ordering Civil War records from the National Archives Records Administration. This information was most useful for Union soldiers, although the National Archives does have the surviving military service records for Confederate soldiers. However, the National Archives has no Confederate pension records in its files. To order these, one would have to contact the state from which the Confederate soldier served. This week will discuss which Confederate pension records exist for each state and how to locate them.

n Alabama — In 1867 pensions were first granted to soldiers who had lost limbs. In 1886 they were expanded to include widows. In 1891 pensions were approved for indigent veterans and their widows. Search the online index at

civilwar/index.cfm. Contact the Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Ave., Montgomery, AL 36130-0100.

n Arkansas — In 1891 pensions were granted to indigent veterans. In 1915 widows and mothers were added to the pension rolls. There is a searchable online index at

umenting/confed_pensions.asp. Contact the Arkansas History Commission & State Archives, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201.

n Florida — In 1881 the state began granting pensions to veterans and in 1889 to their widows. Check the database of pension applications at Contact the Florida State Archives, R.A. Gray Building, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250.

n Georgia — The state began granting pensions to veterans with artificial limbs in 1870. In 1879 other disabled veterans and widows were added. In 1894 old age and poverty were included as reasons to receive a pension. Search the pension applications at content.sos.state. and the enlistment oaths and discharges at con

fed.php. Contact the Georgia Department of Archives & History, 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260.

n Kentucky — The state didn’t grant pensions to Civil War veterans until 1912. Kentucky’s civil war databases, including Confederate service records, military records from the Adjutant General’s office, and pension records can be searched at


Research3.htm. Contact the Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, Kentucky State Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, KY 40601.

n Louisiana — The state began granting pensions to indigent veterans and their widows in 1898. Search the pension applications index database at www400.sos. Contact the Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809-2137.

n Mississippi — Pensions were first granted to indigent veterans and their widows in 1888. Contact the Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Charlotte Capers Building, 100 S. State St., Jackson, MS 39201.

n Missouri — The state granted pensions to indigent veterans only starting in 1911. No widows were included. Contact the Missouri State Archives, State Information Center, 600 W. Main St., Jefferson City, MO 65102.

n North Carolina — The state started giving pensions in 1867 to veterans who were blind or amputees as a result of their service. Other disabled or indigent veterans or widows were added to the rolls in 1885. Contact the North Carolina State Archives, 4614 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-4614.

Next week will continue with this list of states.