News From Terre Haute, Indiana

November 18, 2012

LOOKING BACK: 2002: TH Police get $222K federal grant to fight meth

Dorothy Jerse
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — 2002

• The Terre Haute Rotary Club conducted its 55th “Discards into Timecards” drive to collect donations of used goods for Wabash Valley Goodwill Industries. Gary Schomer was the club president.

• The Terre Haute Police Department was named to receive a $222,222 federal grant from the U.S. Department of Justice to fight the problem of methamphetamine. The Terre Haute Department, one of 56 others in the nation to receive funds, was the only Indiana agency chosen.

• The Terre Haute South Vigo Braves defended their title in the second annual Hi-99 Clabber Girl Classic girls high school basketball tournament at Terre Haute North Vigo High School. They won 48-40 over the Northview Knights in the championship game. Alan Maroska was the Braves’ coach.

• Westminster Village, 1120 E. Davis Drive, broke ground for a new fitness and wellness center. It was part of a $5 million renovation project at the 21-year-old facility.

• Indiana Gov. Frank O’Bannon appointed David R. Bolk, City Court judge, to succeed Judge Dexter L. Bolin Jr. as judge for Vigo County Superior Court, Div. 3.

1987

• The Vigo County Commissioners and the U.S. Soil Conservation Service met to discuss four ways to control flooding in the Honey Creek flood plain, which involved building levees along Honey Creek and Thompson Ditch. The 100-year flood hazard area extended from I-70 to Allendale, with Canal Road on the east and just east of Indiana 63 on the west.

• Sony Corp. acquired CBS Records Group for $2 billion. Each business had a high presence in the Wabash Valley economy: Sony’s Digital Audio Disc Corp., 1800 N. Fruitridge Ave., had more than 500 employees; CBS Columbia House Division, 1400 N. Fruitridge Ave., employed almost 1,200 workers. DADC, the first U.S. manufacturer of compact discs, was already a supplier for CBS Records.

• The Vigo County School Corp. adopted a new ad-logo policy permitting solicitation of advertising to fund athletic and/or academic competition equipment. Business displays could not advertise liquor or tobacco, or promote religious and political activities.

• Crews were tearing down buildings on Seventh and Ohio streets south of the Merchants National Bank building.

1962

• The Downtown Business Association celebrated Downtown Terre Haute Week to salute the progress in changing the face of Wabash Avenue. President Lester Wolf listed new stores built, transformation of older structures with new fronts, expansion of merchandise and services, and the opening of new parking lots.

• The 30-unit Statesman Inn opened at 1407 N. Third St. Owners Mr. and Mrs. William J. McDonnel had operated the Rest Haven Motel on U.S. 41 north of the city, but had changed it into efficiency apartments after the relocation of the highway.

• The Veterans Day classic high school football game between Wiley and Gerstmeyer ended in a 6-6 deadlock at Schulte’s Beech-Var Stadium. Thirty-three years before, the same teams had played on even terms with the score ending in a 6-6 tie.

• Hill’s Motorcycle Sales & Service, 629 National Ave., West Terre Haute, advertised the Honda “50” for economy transportation, 225 miles per gallon. Price: $285.

• “The Debutantes,” an all-girl band, was featured nightly at the Amber Lounge, Lafayette and Sixth avenues.