News From Terre Haute, Indiana

August 5, 2012

LOOKING BACK: 2002: Stuckey wins 4th straight Women’s City

Dorothy Jerse
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — 2002

• Indiana Department of Transportation officials announced the U.S. 41/Interstate 70 alternative for I-69 was not among the five preferred routes, even though this route was the least expensive and the least disruptive to the environment. Bert Williams, local Realtor, commented, “It seems like spending an extra $800 million to save 15 miles is just foolish.”

• Cara Stuckey won her fourth straight Burke Spring Women’s City Golf Championship at Rea Park. Sharon Horrall was the runner-up.

• The Wabash Valley high school football season opened with three new coaches: Chris Barrett at Terre Haute North Vigo, Dave Cassell at West Vigo, and George Gettle at Northview.

• The Terre Haute Stars, a fourth-grade boys AAU basketball team, won the USSSA national championship at Fort Wayne. John Jarvis, Thomas Anderson and Jacob Tanoos were the leading scorers; Tom King and Dave Wampler the coaches.

• The Wabash Valley Art Guild named Brenda Ramponi, fabric artist, as the artist-of-the-month.

• The newly expanded Bob Evans Restaurant, 3023 S. Second St., reopened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

1987

• Seventeen visitors from Tajimi, Japan, Terre Haute’s sister city, arrived in Terre Haute for a four-day visit. They represented the Tajimi International Association, the Jaycees, Rotary Club, Boy and Girl Scouts and the schools.

• Edie Godleski won her fourth Women’s City Golf Championship by defeating Carrie Werneke at Hulman Links. Werneke had won the first of her eight championships in 1956.

• New restaurants: The Royal Fork would soon open in the former Stacey’s Buffet, before that Duff’s, west of Honey Creek Mall. Perry and Eva Palmer opened the Palmer House at Plaza North Shopping Center.

• Wabash Avenue from Seventh to Fifth streets was alive with a Saturday Downtown Farmers’ Market.

• Brett Gibson was moving his Mid-American Telephone Supply Co. to larger quarters at 1628 Wabash Avenue. A recent Terre Haute North Vigo High School graduate, he now employed eight full-time and two part-time workers. Jonathon Cottrell, Vigo County School Corp. vocational director, said Gibson’s success was the greatest of anyone in the 25-year-old program.

1962

• The Newman Club of Indiana State College and Rose Polytechnic Institute purchased the property on the southwest corner of Fifth and Mulberry streets for a Catholic Student Center. Father Joseph Beechem was the chaplain.

• A new elevator was installed inside the Terre Haute City Hall to serve all three floors and the basement.

• Master Auto Painting Inc. opened at 300 N. Eighth Street with Kyle Doseck as the manager.

• The Ohio Oil Co. observed its 75th anniversary and its name change to Marathon Oil Co. A celebration was staged in the Cotillion Room, Hotel Deming, for the 125 local employees. R. C. Farley was the acting manager of the Terre Haute division at 620 Cherry St.

• Queen Suzanne McClara, Garfield High School junior, reigned over the Miners’ Picnic underway at Memorial Stadium. Music for dancing was provided by Harry Weger.

• Mrs. John Taylor defeated Mrs. Budd Wernecke in the Women’s City Golf championship at Rea Park. The match was not determined until the 20th hole.