Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• A memorial service in front of the Terre Haute City Hall and a candlelight vigil at Indiana State University’s Dede Plaza marked the second anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the nation.
• Eleven pilot companies reported raising $445,000 toward the goal of $2.5 million for the United Way campaign. “What matters” was the slogan of this effort to support 41 community agencies, with Gary Morris as chairman.
• A surprise party at the Vigo County Annex honored Sheila Priester for her dedication to the children of Vigo County since 1983. She was the executive director of the three Vigo County Homes for Children.
• The Indiana State University Sycamores played the Indiana University Hoosiers for the first time since 1925. The game, played at Bloomington, ended with a 33-3 win by the Hoosiers.
• The third annual Blues at the Crossroads festival took place in downtown Terre Haute, with 10 groups performing. It was listed among the festivals featured in Down Beat magazine’s international guide. Bob Flott, David Frisee, Connie Wrin and Timmy Popoff were the organizers.
• The Terre Haute Coca-Cola Bottling Co. at 942 Lafayette Ave., ceased bottling operations. The plant lacked the equipment to produce Coca-Cola in cans. Barry Powell was the general manager.
• The Friends of Nursing Dinner Dance was the highlight of the Indiana State University School of Nursing’s silver jubilee. Dr. Maryanne Roehm had been the dean since 1977.
• Area residents pledged $113,324 to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association during the 23rd Jerry Lewis Telethon, aired on WTWO-TV. Lois Brentlinger was the chairwoman.
• A $2 million gift from the Vernon E. Hux family was received by the Union Hospital Foundation to fund the Hux Cardiovascular Center and the Hux Cancer Treatment Center. Hux was the founder of Tri-Industries, Inc. at 333 S. Third St.
• Bill Fenlon succeeded John Mutchner, basketball coach for 25 years, at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.
• The Indiana State Police reported the 173 Vigo County School Corp. buses, mini-buses and vans were inspected from a safety standpoint and were in excellent shape. Glenden Campbell was the director of transportation services.
• Charles Baesler, the third generation of his family in the grocery business, purchased Ralph’s Market, at 1101 S. 25th St., which had been owned and operated by J. Ralph Peters for 16 years.
• The new and enlarged production facilities of Modern Album of Indiana Inc., at 13th and Voorhees streets, were dedicated. Richard N. Fields was the plant manager.
• Vigo County schools had opened on Sept. 4, with approximately 20,000 students in the public schools and more than 700 in the Indiana State College Laboratory School.
• Chas. Pfizer & Co. entertained about 900 adults and 1,200 children at the 15th annual outing at the Vigo County Fairgrounds. Paul Benning was the Vigo plant manager.
• The Purair Bottle Gas Corp., established in 1946, moved from 2030 Lafayette Ave. to new headquarters at Fort Harrison Road and Third Street. Dr. J. H. Cusick was the president, and Carl Atkinson the general manager.
• After signing a 10-year lease with Farm Bureau Inc., the Evening Optimists began construction of a Little League ball park at 2700 S. 13th St.