Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
This week, we have several queries.
• Looking for information on Mahala Smith (or Schmidt) Harris, the wife of Rev. Benjamin Harris. Mahala was married to Ben in Lawrence County, on July 22, 1826. She was the mother of James W., Andrew J., Amanda (Shankland), and Artemissa (Lewis). On Artemissa’s death certificate her mother’s maiden name was listed as “Schmidt.” Mahala and Ben were in Boone County in 1830, Marion County in 1840, Warren County, Indiana in 1850, and Vermilion County, Ill., in 1860. Mahala died between 1860 and 1867. If anyone has any information on the death date and/or burial location of Mahala or knows about her parents, please contact me. Thank you. Cathea Curry, P.O. Box 533/Piedmont, OK 73078, email CatheaC@sbcglobal.
• I am searching for any information on John David and Caroline Gilbert Williams, married 1867. John was born in Wales in 1845, and Caroline in Newfoundland in 1841. They appear to have been married in Pennsylvania and moved to Clay County before 1870. Their children are Margaret, Hannah, Martha, Elizabeth, David, Caroline, Harriet and John. Both are buried in Calcutta Cemetery in Clay County. I am interested in parents or siblings of either. Thanks. Jeff Thomas, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• I am looking for information on Isaac and Arthena Stites Thomas, who lived in Clay County. Isaac born 1818 in Kentucky and died in 1890 in Indiana. Arthena was born in Kentucky in 1819 and died in 1859. They had several children. Samuel, Carlisle, Aaron, William, Jacob, Frances, George, James, Harriet, Lewis, Mary and Joel. Isaac’s second wife was Elizabeth. His third wife was Martha Davis. Martha’s daughter by a previous marriage was Jannetta. Jannetta was married to Isaac’s son George. I am looking for parents or siblings of Isaac and Arthena, as well as the other spouses. Also would be interested in burial place of Arthena and Elizabeth. Isaac is buried with Martha in Calcutta Cemetery in Clay County. Thanks for any information. Jeff Thomas, email email@example.com.
• I am looking for any information for Martha Jemima Davis. She was born in 1841 in Indiana and died in 1924 in Indiana. I believe her first husband was Nathaniel Davis. Her second husband was Branson H. Boling. Her third husband was Isaac Thomas, with whom she is buried in Calcutta Cemetery in Clay County, Indiana. Her fourth husband was George Crist. Her children were Jannetta and Albert, believed to be from the first marriage. I show some records that her parents were Nathaniel and Abigail Davis. It also shows several siblings. Wanting to confirm these records, and also trace her Native American heritage. Thanks for any information given. Jeff Thomas, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Looking for information concerning Anna McNeese, born 1805, the daughter of Alexander McNeese of Harrison County, Ky. She married John Adams in Kentucky and then moved with John’s cousin Samuel Adams to Vermilion County, Ill. She died in 1832 and rests in Vermilion County in the same cemetery as Samuel, but I have been unable to find her husband, John Adams. I am also attempting to find any documentation concerning the identity of her mother. All information is appreciated. Please contact Neil Morgan, email email@example.com.