Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
•Hawthorn Park was being used as a test site to control the bush honeysuckle which was displacing native plants. Keith Ruble was the superintendent of the Vigo County Parks & Recreation Dept.
• Two men robbed Terre Haute First National Bank’s banking center at Southland Plaza, South Seventh Street and Margaret Avenue. It was the first bank robbery in Terre Haute since November 2000.
• The United Way Volunteer Action Center featured Mary Perucca as its Volunteer of the Month. Perucca was a dedicated volunteer of the McMillan Adult Day Care Center established in 1975.
• Since 1994, Trees Inc. had planted more than 1,000 trees to replace those dead or damaged and to create a new tree canopy for the city.
• Dan Tanoos, superintendent of the Vigo County School Corp., was appointed to the Indiana Education Roundtable by Gov. Frank O’Bannon and Superintendent of Public Instruction Suellen Reed.
• Wabash Valley Tumbling and Gymnastics held a grand opening at its new location, 3501 Erie Canal Road.
• About 60 West Vigo High School and Middle School band members and their director Don Gamble had returned from performing at Disney World in Florida. It had taken more than a year to raise the $18,000 needed to pay for this five-day trip.
• The Terre Haute Jaycees gave $4,000 to the Terre Haute Parks & Recreation Board to help renovate the 100-year-old Collett Park Pavilion. Mike Stewart was the Jaycee president.
• Barbershop choruses and quartets from throughout Indiana and Kentucky were in Terre Haute for the Cardinal District competition hosted by the local Banks of the Wabash Chorus.
• The U.S. Census Bureau reported the federal government had spent $279 million in Vigo County in 1987 for everything from military gear to sewer improvements. Most, $146.5 million, had come as retirement and disability funds through entitlement programs. Vigo ranked seventh out of Indiana’s 92 counties in its share of federal funds.
• The Young Men’s Civic Club held its 14th annual Charity Ball at Hulman Center. Charles L. Session, Andre Hammonds and Thomas G. Waldron were the club officers.
• Plans were underway to expand the clubhouse and remodel other facilities at the Country Club of Terre Haute. The original building was constructed in 1920, destroyed by fire in 1924, and the present structure built in 1925.
• Mayor Ralph Tucker and Terre Haute Housing Authority officials broke ground for the first 100 units of low-rent housing at Krumbhaar Street and Margaret Avenue. A second ceremony at the 12th Street and Lockport Road site launched the construction of an additional 100 units.
• An appropriation from the Vigo County School Corp. cumulative building fund was to be used for additions to Honey Creek and West Vigo high schools and the remodeling of Fayette Elementary School.
• A shack, containing salvage materials and located on the city dump at the “Y” in West Terre Haute, was ignited and completely destroyed.
• Wabash Distributing Co. held a grand opening to introduce its new management headed by Ralph W. Spahr. The firm, located at 444 N. Third St., had been acquired by a newly-formed corporation from the estate of the late Jack Foulkes.