Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• The Landsbaum Scholar Fund to benefit Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology students was established with a gift of $934,878 from the estate of the late Morris Landsbaum of Terre Haute.
• Patrick Rady accepted the offer from Southwestern (Hanover) High School to coach boys varsity basketball and teach business education. The son of Terre Haute South Vigo High School basketball coach Pat Rady, he had been the boys junior varsity coach at South.
• Debbie Moore and Valarie Kinnaman were now the owners of Tatem & Associates Insurance Agency, at 1434 S. Third St. and founded by the late J. David Tatem.
• Steve Higham, Terre Haute North Vigo High School golf coach for 23 seasons, announced his retirement.
• Chris Cassell won his second straight Hulman Links men’s golf championship. Troy Farris came in second and Ted Kaperak third. Sharon Horrall won the women’s championship.
• Sharene Hilligoss extended the hours of the drive-in window at her Java Haute to 24/7. The coffee shop was located at the corner of Fruitridge and Wabash avenues.
• Jacquie Denehie received the Alan C. Rankin Distinguished Alumni Award for Community Service at Leadership Terre Haute’s annual dinner. Barbara Passmore and Charles Williams were presented with service awards for their continued commitment to the organization.
• Bill Koehler, chief naturalist at Dobbs Park, reported 500 children, age 3-15 years, participated in the Fishing Rodeo sponsored by the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department, Poff’s Sporting Goods and WTHI-TV. Tim McKinney, age 10, caught the biggest catfish of the day.
• New Goshen residents raised funds to restore the 100-year-old Fayette Little Brick School which had been closed since 1954. Bob Laney headed the sponsoring committee.
• Golfer Ron Poore became the first athlete in the history of Terre Haute North Vigo High School to receive four consecutive gold medals at the school’s spring banquets honoring athletes.
• The Downtown Street Market took place on Wabash Avenue between Fourth and 6 1/2 streets with merchants and organizations offering a variety of items for sale.
• Seventy teams were entered for summer competition on the Woodrow Wilson Junior High School playground diamonds.
• Mr. and Mrs. David B. Caden reopened their David’s women’s fashion shop at 671 Wabash Ave., directly across the street from their former store which had been damaged by fire and water.
• Knapp Office Equipment, 113 S. Seventh St., featured the Olivetti Divisumma 24 Calculator. Owner Marvin Knapp described it as “one of the fastest and most versatile calculating machines on the market, performing each of the four basic operations in arithmetic.”
• The Indiana State College Board of Trustees formally accepted the two new residence halls: six-story Pickerl Hall for women and nine-story Gillum Hall for men. Each was to house 300 students beginning in the fall.
• The Golden Eagle Continental Trailways bus, served by a hostess on board and equipped with a restroom and kitchen, was on display at the Terre Haute bus terminal. It was to serve local travelers on a twice-daily service to New York and Los Angeles.