News From Terre Haute, Indiana

September 29, 2013

LOOKING BACK: 2003, Starbucks store to open in the Tavel Center at Third Street and Margaret Avenue

Dorothy Jerse
Special to the Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.

2003

• Lindsay Sims (Terre Haute North), Sara Minor (Terre Haute South) and Sarah Rodie (West Vigo) reigned as the Vigo County high school homecoming queens.

• MAB Paints reopened its production plant at 630 N. Third St. The operation had been closed since 1999.

• The name of Terre Haute First National Bank was changed to First Financial Bank at five banks in Indiana and four banks in Illinois. Norman Lowery, CEO, said the institutions would still be identified by the “First” bank shield.

• Plans were announced for a Starbucks Coffee store to open in the Tavel Center at Third Street and Margaret Avenue.

• The $7.9 million Landsbaum Center for Health Education, at 1433 N. 61⁄2 St., was dedicated. The facility was a partnership between Union Hospital’s Midwest Center for Rural Health, the Indiana State University School of Nursing and the Indiana University School of Medicine.

• NCAA officials announced the Lavern Gibson Championship Course at the Wabash Valley Family Sports Center would be the site of the 2004, 2005 and 2006 NCAA Division I Cross Country championships.

1988

• The U.S. Census Bureau reported that Terre Haute had slipped from being the sixth-largest city in the state to the seventh. Student enrollment in the Vigo County School Corp. also had decreased, 17 percent in the past 10 years.

• Don Garvin, Richard Lidster and Ted Shanks were renovating the property at Seventh and Poplar streets to house a Chicago Pizza restaurant and yogurt shop. The building had housed a Shell service station and later a muffler shop.

• Ted Kaperak defeated Dave McCampbell for the Forrest Sherer Men’s City Golf Championship.

• The sixth annual Terre Haute Chili Cook-off, sponsored by the Altrusa Club of Terre Haute, took place at the Wabash Valley Fairgrounds. Accompanied by a drum roll, Barry Kent of WTHI HI-99 signaled the cooks to “light your fires.”

• A two-day workshop, organized by the Indiana State University School of Nursing, addressed “Living in the AIDS Era” and attracted medical students and health workers from four Midwestern states. Deborah Barnhart, director of continuing education, said, “We wanted to undo myths and negative feelings.”

1963

• “Horns blared, traffic jammed and tempers flared as all north-south streets in Terre Haute from the Wabash River to 16th Street were blocked by trains for more than two hours on a Saturday afternoon.” The cause was a broken air line on a Pennsylvania Railroad “CC2” freight train.

• Dorothy Clark was named executive secretary of the Vigo County Historical Society. The museum, at 1411 S. Sixth St., was open from 2 to 5 p.m. on Sundays.

• Cuban refugee students attending Indiana State College expressed gratitude to America, especially to Terre Haute and the college, by placing a wreath on the Vigo County Soldiers and Sailors Monument on the Courthouse lawn.

• Several overnight criminal activities involved youngsters, some as young as six years old. Robert Hagmann, Vigo County chief probation officer, warned parents, “the future may hold prison sentences for some erring parents if convicted of child neglect.”

• The Wiley High School Latin Club started the new school year with 80 members. Bettie Jean Johnson was the sponsor, Sue Halberstadt the president.