News From Terre Haute, Indiana

July 7, 2013

Looking back: In 1988, marker unveiled at Seventh and Wabash

Dorothy Jerse
Special to the Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.



2003

• Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology announced construction of a $13.5 million apartment-style residence hall on campus.

• Students Anjelica Dorth, Cedric Craig, Michelle Jordan and Miles Reliford represented the Greater Terre Haute Branch NAACP in the national ACT-SO competition at Miami Beach, Fla.

• The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported the number of Vigo County farms had decreased from 623 to 455 from 1987 to 1997. Suburban sprawl was given as the main reason for farm acreage decreasing from 147,757 to 114,889 acres.

• The window project at the Wabash Senior Citizens Center, South Fifth and Poplar streets, was now complete. Forty-nine windows and the front and back doors were replaced using funds from the Center, the Wabash Valley Community Foundation, the Clara Fairbanks Foundation and Terre Haute First National Bank. Connie Sackrider was the executive director.

• The Otter Creek Middle School botball team tied for fifth in the National Botball Robotics Tournament at Norman, Okla. Team members were Dan Doddridge, Zack Gosnell, Lauren James, John Remler and Emily Steiger. Dianna Cooper was the sponsor.

1988

• Kenneth Hazledine was the honorary parade marshal of the 43rd annual Frontier Day Parade sponsored by the Wabash Valley Horsemen’s Association. Mark Daugherty was the King of the Cowboys and Angie McMillan the Frontier Gal.

• An official Indiana State Historical Marker was unveiled at the northwest corner of Wabash Avenue and Seventh Street marking the “Crossroads of America.” Local merchants had begun using the phrase shortly after 1926 when the streets were officially named as national routes.

• Tony Nading and Meg McElroy won the Mayor’s Cup Mile races through downtown Terre Haute on Wabash Avenue, which was “hot enough for frying eggs.”

• Betty Smith, president of the Terre Haute Board of Realtors, reported area sales volume was up slightly, and the value of those sales had increased “dramatically” over the previous year.

• The Kleptz racing team, consisting of Frank and David Kleptz and Wayne Wiley in their 1912 Haynes Speedster, won the second-place overall award in the Class Brass Division of the Interstate Batteries Great American race.

1963

• Let Freedom Ring! Generalissimo Lenhardt Bauer and Chief Bellringer John K. Lamb led the local effort to have every “ringable bell” in the Wabash Valley join the chorus for four minutes at 1 p.m. CDT on July Fourth.

• It was Babe Ruth League Tag Day over the weekend to raise funds for equipment and other expenses. Two Leagues (American and National) each had six teams, with 15 boys as players on each one.

• The Terre Haute Tribune and Star newsrooms and editorial offices were moved to the third floor of the Tribune Building. The vacated second floor space was to house the expansion of the composing room and advertising departments.

• J. J. Maehling, secondary education director for the Vigo County School Corp., announced his retirement, ending 43 years of service in education.

• Nichols Investment Corp., 728 Wabash Ave., advertised thrift savings certificates issued in $50 denominations and paying 5 percent.

• Earle E. Moore, affiliated with Texaco for 28 years, had taken over the operation of the Texaco Bulk Plant, 118 Elm St.