Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• Thyssen-Krupp, a Liechtenstein-based auto parts manufacturer, signed the lease for the former Wheel Tough Co. building in the Vigo County Industrial Park. The firm was expected to bring 74 jobs to Vigo County.
• Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology President Samuel Hulbert presented degrees to 393 students, the largest class in the school’s history.
• Dennis J. Dunbar was named the new director of Terre Haute International Airport-Hulman Field to succeed Charles Goodwin who had left to manage Rickenbacker International Airport in Columbus, Ohio.
• The Dawg House sports bar and restaurant, owned by Patrick Sparks and Rob Steidel, was now open in the former Cactus Jack’s building, 830 Oak St.
• The Marine Corps League, Joseph A. Bray Detachment No. 471, unveiled a granite monument at its north side headquarters as a memorial honoring 26 Marines from Vigo County killed in action.
• Terre Haute North Vigo High School teams won 10 Vigo county championships during the year, and they were honored as the Elks All-Sports Champions. Terre Haute South teams had won eight county championships.
• A report of the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis, placed Terre Haute second from the bottom on a list of major Indiana communities with a per capita personal income of $11,745. Bloomington was last with $11,424.
• Representatives of BASF Corp. were in Vigo County to begin testing to determine underground conditions at the proposed site for an auto paint plant south of the city.
• Sunset Harbor Inc. broke ground for Cannon Inn, a $3 million apartment complex at U.S. 41 and Fort Harrison Road. Adjoining the Fort Harrison Villa community and Meadows Manor North, the complex would have 56 apartments.
• The number of graduates at the Vigo County high schools were Terre Haute North — 522, Terre Haute South — 477, West Vigo — 157, and Washington Alternative — 33.
• The Waffle House, 130 N. Third St., closed after 21 years in business. Greg Gibson purchased the property.
• Tony McGee and Melissa Sue Utterback, both Terre Haute South Vigo High School students, won the McMillan Awards for being the outstanding athletes in the county.
• The West Baking Co. of Indianapolis purchased the local Holsum Bread Co. Leo Dreher, Holsum president since 1955, was to manage West’s new Holsum Division.
• Art Freudenberg, executive of the Wabash Valley Council, Boy Scouts of America, since 1953, announced his resignation.
• The Kent Avenue Women’s Club, one of the oldest clubs in the city, disbanded after almost 52 years of service. Helena Walsh, president, presided at the annual and final meeting at the Eat-A-Teria restaurant.
• John Mutchner succeeded James Carr as head basketball and baseball coach and assistant football coach at Rose Polytechnic Institute.
• Union and St. Anthony’s hospitals each received $10,058 from the Vigo County Medical Society — the amount left in the Sabin oral vaccine donation fund following the completion of community-wide immunizations for polio.
• Mayor Ralph Tucker protested the sale of the Deming Hotel and parking areas to Indiana State College by the Hulman Foundation. He said, “The best interests of the taxpayers would not be served by removal of the property from the tax roles.”