Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
This week is a listing of online databases that are absolutely free to anyone with a computer:
• Bureau of Land Management, General Land Office. Land records going back to 1810 in public land states: www.glorecords.blm.
• Castle Garden, America’s first immigration center. Lists early immigrants to the port of New York, 1820-1913: www.castlegarden.org/searcher.php.
• Chronicling America–Historic American Newspapers. Search through American newspapers at the Library of Congress, 1826-1922: chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
• Civil War Soldier and Sailor Database. Information on Union and Confederate soldiers and sailors: www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm.
• DAR Genealogical Research System. Caution, I have found errors here: services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search.
• Every Name Index. Although far from complete, this site’s goal is to post every name indexed for each county in the united States. Indiana and Illinois are well represented: everynameindex.com.
• Find a Grave. Search through 92 million grave records: www.findagrave.com.
• Free UKGEN. Featuring the civil registrations of vital records for England and Wales, the British censuses (1841-1891), and baptisms, marriages and burials from parish registers: freeukgen.rootsweb.com.
• Illinois State Archives Databases. Search through the many Illinois databases online, vital records, land and much more: www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depart
• Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild. Information to help you search for passenger lists and ships: immigrantships.net/newcompass/pass_lists/listthiessen.html.
• Indentured Servants’ Registers. London, Middlesex and Bristol Registers: www.virtualjamestown.org/indentures/about_indentures.html.
• Indiana State Digital Archives: www.indianadigitalarchives.org.
• Indiana State Library Databases: www.in.gov/library/databases.htm.
• Ireland’s National Archives. This site is just getting started: www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie.
• Kentucky Death Records, 1911-2000: vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ky/death/search.cgi.
n Kentucky Land Office. Search for land patents, bounty lands, surveys, certificates of settlement and many other early land records: sos.ky.gov/land.
• Library of Virginia. Search the Virginia land records and more: lva1.host
• Maryland State Archives. Search Maryland land records and much more: msa.maryland.gov.
• Michigan death records, 1867-1897: www.mdch.state.mi.us/gendisx/search.htm.
• National WWII Memorial. Search for military personnel buried overseas, memorialized as MIA, and listed on killed in service rosters: www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp?page=registry.asp&subpage=intro.
• National Archives and Records Administration online databases: www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/start-research/website.html.
• War of 1812 Discharge Certificates. This is on the NARA website: www.archives.gov/research/military/war-of-1812/1812-discharge-certificates/soldiers-by-name.html.