Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• A frozen water pipe burst and caused extensive damage at the CANDLES Holocaust Museum, located at 1532 S. Third St. and founded by Eva Kor in 1995.
• Digital Audio Disc Corp. followed the doubling of its production of CDs and DVDs with the addition of Super Audio CDs. A new production line was to be installed in April.
• Ashley Burk (Terre Haute North), Abby Zimmerly (Terre Haute South), and Desiree Nicoson (West Vigo) were the homecoming queens at the three Vigo County high schools.
• Mike Mahalek, West Terre Haute postmaster since 1993, was honored with a retirement open house at American Legion Post 104, 2690 Fort Harrison Road. His father, Fred Mahalek, was the assistant postmaster at Terre Haute until 1973 after 36 years of service.
• “Celebration Week” showcased Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology’s new performing center, Hatfield Hall. The building included a 602-seat theater with a 168-seat balcony.
• One hundred and fifty members of Terre Haute’s 181st Fighter Wing, Indiana Air National Guard, left for a 30-day deployment in Incirlik, Turkey.
• WTHI-TV’s participation in Star-athon ‘88 benefited United Cerebral Palsy. Local segments were hosted by Marla Keller, Gary Jackson, Kevin Orpurt and Mike King.
• The 77-year-old Central Christian Church-Disciples of Christ building, 207 N. Seventh St., was for sale. Plans called for a new church to be built on East Wabash Avenue. The Rev. Thomas Russell was the minister.
• The Jobe Stress Center at Terre Haute Regional Hospital opened with a 20-bed stress-related treatment unit and a 12-bed psychiatric intensive care unit. Fran Drake, R.N., was the department manager.
• The Environmental Protection Agency ruled that the hazardous waste at the International Minerals & Chemical Corp. plant was not contaminating the local water supply.
• Terre Haute South Vigo High School wrestlers, coached by Dan Millard, captured their third straight sectional championship.
• Marian K. Ramsey-Ford was elected president and chief operating officer of All-State Manufacturing Co., Inc.
• Eighty-eight teams competed in the 48th Wabash Valley High School basketball tournament. Defending champion Ellettsville, Monroe City, Danville and Rockville progressed to the finals with Rockville winning their first Wabash Valley title in 45 years at the Indiana State College Arena. Their “grandfathers” had won the first tournaments in 1916-17-18.
• A record crowd opened the Tribune-Star four-day Cooking School at the Indiana Theatre. Mary Metag of the National Live Stock and Meat Board, was the “culinary artist” presenting “Portraits in Food.”
• Robert Placek won the annual Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award at Schulte High School.
• Groundbreaking ceremonies were conducted for Meadows Manor, a 100-bed nursing home to be constructed at 3400 Poplar St. Howard Armstrong, president of Sunset Harbor Inc., said the firm planned to construct 12 such homes in the Middle West.
• The Vigo County Clergy Association presented its first “Brotherhood Award” to Theodore “Ted” Moore, director of the Boys Club for more than a quarter century. Gary Winders, Mark Levin and Douglas Orman were recognized for their acts of bravery.