News From Terre Haute, Indiana

August 4, 2013

Looking back: In 1963, Page’s Bi-Rite opens at 2049 Lafayette

Dorothy Jerse
Special to the Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.

2003

• “The Big Fat Greek Party for Preservation” at the Brewhaus raised funds to preserve Allen Chapel’s stained glass windows. Eileen Prose and Patty Thoms were the co-chairs.

• The 2003 Dirt Grand Nationals of quarter midget racing opened at the Hulman Mini-Speedway, 13th Street and Lockport Road. The track was the site of the first Dirt Grand Nationals for the Quarter Midgets of America in 1993.

• The Gerstmeyer Technical High School Class of 1969 dedicated memorial bricks in the Patriot Memory Walk Garden at Terre Haute North Vigo High School in honor of 11 former Tech faculty members.

•  Cinergy/PSI’s Wabash River Generating Station celebrated 50 years of generating power with a ceremony for 116 employees, retirees and their families. Don Faulkner was the plant manager.

• Don Kelley, Jimmie Carsey, Jim Calvin and Larry Fuqua regrouped into the Fascinators to perform at the Garfield High School Class of 1958 reunion at the Spring Brook Rod and Gun Club. A tribute was paid to bass singer Boyd “Popcorn” Johnson,ß who had died in January.

1988

• Hercules’ polypropylene film plant in Terre Haute completed its third year without “A Day Away From Work Injury.” Tom Grimes was the plant manager.

• GTE North Inc. announced that LaPorte had been chosen as the Indiana site of the new expanded long-distance operator service center. Eric Meister, division manager, said Terre Haute had been in the running for this new facility, which would have created more than 100 jobs, until the final decision.

• Sara Davis, Terre Haute South Vigo High School graduate, was crowned Miss Flame at the 1988 Indiana Volunteer Firemen Association’s convention at Michigan City.

• Merchants reported the construction on 25th Street from Maple Avenue to Locust Street was hurting their businesses.

• Edie Godleski won her fifth Women’s City Golf Tournament Championship when she broke a tie with Ellen Royse, Terre Haute South Vigo High School senior, at Rea Park. Godleski said this was her most difficult city championship because it was the first time she needed the 18th hole to win by one.

1963

• The 47th Miners’ Picnic was in progress at Memorial Stadium. Sally Kutch, Garfield High School sophomore, was named the “most popular miner’s daughter.”

• “Fellowship, homespun humor and literally tons of good food” were featured at the 11th annual Farm-Industry Business Day at the Vigo County Fairgrounds. The event attracted the largest crowd in its history — almost 1,000 persons.

• The “DX Showcase” service station at 25th and Poplar streets celebrated its grand opening. A full-time hostess served free coffee at all times.

• The local Civil Defense class for instructors of fallout shelter managers spent 12 hours in the Terre Haute City Hall shelter during a simulated survival session.

• The new Page’s Bi-Rite Market opened at 2049 Lafayette Avenue. Arnold L. Page’s other supermarket was located in West Terre Haute.

• The Indiana Department of Conservation was given a 99-year lease in 1959 to construct, improve and maintain a boat ramp for public use on the southwest edge of Fairbanks Park. After the work was not completed, the Terre Haute Park Department ordered the lease forfeited and announced plans to complete the project.