Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.
• The installation of new heating, cooling, electrical and plumbing systems to begin in February at the Vigo County Court House called for relocating an estimated 50 to 64 tons of county and court records. John J. Newman, director of the Information Management Section of the Indiana Supreme Court, said, “Vigo County has the most complete records of any court house in the state.”
• The Vigo County School Corp. Board approved the $164,000 sale of Crawford Elementary School to the Western Indiana Community Action agency to use as a Head Start program facility.
• A new $13 million port-of-entry weigh station opened on Interstate 70 at the Illinois/Indiana border.
• Columbia House donated 175 doses of surplus flu vaccine to St. Ann Clinic, a program of the Sisters of Providence at 1436 Locust St. Jan Miller was the Columbia House director of health services.
• LaShawn Tyler, Terre Haute North Vigo High School wrestler holding a season record of 17-0, was named most valuable wrestler at the Northview Invitational Wrestling tournament.
• The Banks of the Wabash Chorus presented “Christmas Barbershop Style,” the first program to be presented in its new Harmony Hall, 1257 Lafayette Ave.
• Dick Robinson, staff reporter, wrote, “Amid threats of election time reprisals, the Vigo County Commissioners and the County Council unanimously affirmed the economic development plan for the Vigo County Industrial Park, one of three sites under consideration by the BASF Corp.”
• Hospice of the Wabash Valley was the winner of the second annual Terre Haute First National Bank Christmas in the Park co-sponsored by the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department in Deming Park.
• The Sheldon Swope Art Museum opened new first-floor galleries in space formerly occupied by the Morris Plan and Herm Rassel clothing store. This was the first time Swope occupied the first floor of the building since its opening in 1942.
• Charado, a game invented by Patrick M. O’Leary of Terre Haute and former residents Keith Ogorek, Todd Brocker and Tim Panek, was named one of the top 25 new games of the year by the Chicago Tribune.
• The new Hillman Jewelers Building at 612 Wabash Ave. was the “first concrete evidence of the city’s dauntless spirit, its faith and its energy” following the multi-million dollar fire which had gutted half-a-block of the downtown.
• A two-alarm blaze swept nearly a block-long area between Wabash Avenue and Ohio Street. It had started in the warehouse at the Water Street intersection which had been occupied by Bauermeister-Hegeman Inc. and Morgan Wholesale Feed Co. A few days later, another two-alarm fire damaged the foundry section of Gartland Foundry, 330 Grant Ave.
• A Sunday open house at Miller Floral Co., 1630 Plum St., featured 25,000 blooming poinsettias.
• The annual auction dinner of the Terre Haute Noon Optimist Club, the fund-raising prelude to the opening of the Clothe-A-Child Booth at 61⁄2 Street and Wabash Avenue, was held at the Terre Haute House. Robert Compton was the club president.
• Dr. Melville E. CaJacobs, Dr. Fred Dierdorf and Dr. Hubert T. Goodman were the newly elected officers of the Vigo County Medical Society.