News From Terre Haute, Indiana

September 20, 2008

Looking Back: 1958: Second annual Sullivan County Corn Festival under way

By Dorothy Jerse

Dorothy Jerse looks back at local history from 10, 25 and 50 years ago as reported in the Tribune and Tribune-Star.

1998

• The Terre Haute YMCA opened a campaign to raise $1.5 to $2 million to renovate its 59-year-old building at 200 S. Sixth St.

• The parish of St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church announced plans to build a new church facility farther south than its current location at Seventh and Voorhees streets. It was said it would be the first completely new Catholic facility built in Terre Haute in 50 years.

• Indiana State University dedicated its new $18.4 million John T. Myers Technology Center. The structure housed four levels of laboratories, classrooms and faculty offices and a three-story atrium.

• A sellout crowd of about 1,200 heard American Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole, featured speaker at the Greater Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner Meeting and Salute to Business at Hulman Center.

• L.S. Ayres opened with its Great Fall Sale in the former Root’s Department Store at Honey Creek Mall. The store had been closed for about two weeks while the 250 employees took inventory and attended training classes.

1983

• A crowd filled Hulman Center where Madeleine Manson’s 61st Moonhowling Party was staged to celebrate her 82nd birthday and to raise funds for the new Downtown Clinic of Planned Parenthood of the Wabash Valley.

• Hills Department Stores opened their doors for business with 300 workers at Riverside Plaza and Plaza North shopping centers in the former Woolco stores which had closed in January.

• Hundreds paid tribute to John W. Haley, local businessman, during the annual Harry S. Truman dinner at the Holiday Inn. Haley had been a delegate to the Democratic National Convention since 1960 and a delegate to the state convention since 1958.

• After a two-year study, a planning commission of the Terre Haute Deanery recommended the closing of four of the nine parishes in Vigo County to Archbishop Edward O’Meara of the Indianapolis Archdiocese.

• M. B. Derickson and Ronald Pratt, owners of Dealer Label Manufacturing Co., were the high bidders for the H. Ralph Johnston Youth Community Center property east of Terre Haute.

1958

• Ralph Berry and William R. Cox co-chaired the annual Democrat fall wiener roast at the Ute oven in Deming Park. Oren Myrtle, president of the Vigo County Young Democrats, estimated the crowd at 2,000.

• Ground was broken for the new Providence Novitiate Building of the Sisters of Providence at St. Mary-of-the-Woods. It was the first major building activity on the grounds in 38 years.

• The second annual Sullivan County Corn Festival, sponsored by the local Junior Chamber of Commerce and chaired by Joe Crowder and Norman Kelly was staged on the public square. A movie at the Sherman Theatre was followed by a teen dance at the 4-H building and an adult dance at the Elks Lodge.

• Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce officers Ray H. Hahn, Robert Ratcliffe and John K. Lamb traveled to New York City to protest in person the recent Life Magazine article telling about the gambling ring that had operated in Terre Haute.

• Steigers, 22 N. Sixth St., advertised fashionable mouton processed lamb jackets at $39.