News From Terre Haute, Indiana

September 22, 2012

Storms disrupt Friday night football games for second time

North, Warren Central to resume at 1 p.m. today

Andy Amey
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Lightning did no favors to the people from the home team Friday night at Terre Haute North, as it interrupted a Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference high school football game, threatened to wipe out homecoming activities — and maybe even stalled momentum for the host Patriots.

Play resumes at 1 p.m. today, both schools agreed after a delay of approximately 90 minutes.

When the teams left the field at approximately 8:02 p.m., visiting Warren Central had a 10-0 lead that would have been worse except for the North defense.

The Patriots, who were unable to complement their defensive effort with any offensive movement in the first quarter, stopped the state’s seventh-ranked visitors from second-and-goal at the 1-yard line, when the Warriors recovered their own fourth-down fumble; held the visitors to a field goal after first-and-goal from the 1-yard line on the next series; and took the ball away twice on interceptions by Ricky Brookins (in the end zone) and Austin Massey (at North’s 5-yard line).

Warren Central’s only other score came on a fluke play. After twice backing themselves up with penalties, one that wiped out a first-down run, the Warriors faced third-and-18 from their 38-yard line and quarterback Anthony Cooper-Taylor threw the ball up for grabs. Two Patriot defenders appeared to be ready to intercept or knock the ball away, but it got between them to a surprised Glynn Hill, who completed a 62-yard scoring play.

North picked up its first first down of the game midway through the second quarter on a 20-yard burst by Brother Scank, but still was forced to punt again three plays later.

After the Massey interception, however, North got two first downs in a row. Scank got the first one on a 12-yard run and then, after a quick slant pass from Chris Barrett II to Austin Lewis was dropped — with potential for a huge gain — the two went back to work on the very next play and made a 16-yard connection for the second first down.

One play later, lightning was spotted on the school’s monitors and play was stopped with 2:06 left in the second quarter and North in a second-and-9 situation at its own 42-yard line.

Waiting patiently — and no doubt nervously — in the south end zone were queen Anna Potter and members of North’s homecoming court. What affect the weather would have on halftime ceremonies was uncertain as they left the field with other spectators.

As lightning continued and the game’s restart was pushed back, however, homecoming ceremonies were moved to the gym, where they were completed shortly after 9 p.m.

That was about the time it was being determined that the remainder of the game would be postponed until this afternoon. Junior varsity and freshman games between the two schools that were to have been played today have been postponed, apparently until sectional week.