Terre Haute North senior Tate Egan came within a couple of shots of making the IHSAA eight-person boys state tennis finals Saturday, defeating one player but losing a close match to another in semistate play at Kokomo.
Egan defeated Brian Zehner of Logansport 6-1, 6-1, but then came up short in a first-set tiebreaker and eventually lost 7-6, 4-6, 6-0 to Ian Landwehr of Yorktown.
Egan finished the season with a 19-5 record and was 84-16 for his career with the Patriots.
• Brown County 22, Northview 21 — At Brazil, the visiting Eagles scored in the fourth period to win Friday’s Western Indiana Conference game.
Liam Jones, Daniel Kimball and Tucker Stewart tallied touchdowns for the Knights. Jesse Miller netted 92 yards rushing on 17 carries for the host team.
Brown County 16 0 0 6 — 22
Northview 14 0 7 0 — 21
Next — Northview (3-6, 3-3) plays Indianapolis Cathedral at Lawrence North on Friday in Class 4A sectional action. Brown County (2-7, 1-5) will play host to Greensburg.
• Edgewood 40, South Vermillion 14 — At Clinton, the host Wildcats dropped their fifth Western Indiana Conference game out of six in the season finale.
South Vermillion (2-7 overall, 1-6 WIC) will travel to Class 2A No. 1-ranked Indianapolis Ritter and Class 3A Edgewood (2-7, 2-4) will play host to Batesville next weekend.
• Attica 55, Turkey Run 0 — At Marshall, Ind., Attica blanked the host Warriors in the season finale for both teams.
Turkey Run (3-6 overall, 2-5 Wabash River Conference) will head to North Central for a Class A first-round sectional matchup and Attica (6-3, 5-2) will play host to Rockville, also in Class A, next weekend.
• Covington 54, Riverton Parke 24 — At Covington, Riverton Parke’s winless regular season came to a close.
Riverton Parke (0-9 overall, 9-7 Wabash River Conference) will be at home to take on Cloverdale and Covington (2-7, 1-6) will be at home to tangle with North Vermillion, both in Class A sectionals next weekend.
• Wood Memorial 42, Union 34 — At Oakland City, Wood Memorial won at home for its first victory of 2012.
Union (2-7 overall, 0-6 Southwest Seven Conference) will play host to North Daviess and Wood Memorial (1-8, 1-5) will visit Tecumseh, both in Class A sectionals next weekend.
• North Vermillion 49, Seeger 14 — At West Lebanon, North Vermillion clinched the Wabash River Conference championship outright with this triumph.
Next weekend, North Vermillion (9-0 overall, 7-0 WRC) will travel to Covington for a first-round Class A sectional clash and Seeger (4-5, 4-3) will head over to Tipton in Class 2A action.
• Casey 28, Robinson 6 — At Robinson, Ill., the visiting Warriors remained undefeated as Nicco Stepina rushed for 148 yards in 12 carries and scored three touchdowns.