Greene County General Hospital was one of 21 Indiana businesses to be presented with the Centennial Business Award by the Indiana Historical Society in partnership with the Indiana Economic Development Corp.
Hospital representatives Randy Padgett and Corey Sparks accepted the award on behalf of the hospital at the IHS’s 2012 Founders Day Dinner.
“It is great to be a part of an organization that has been providing healthcare and jobs and serving the community for 100 years,” said Greene County General Hospital Interim Chief Executive Officer/Chief Financial Officer Tim Norris.
Greene County General Hospital — originally Freeman City Hospital — was located at Fourth and Northeast A streets. It was established in June 1912. The county’s first hospital was formed when Mr. and Mrs. Job Freeman donated their two-story, Neo-Jacobean style home to the City of Linton to be used as a city hospital.
On Feb. 7, 1928, the Linton City Council adopted an ordinance, with the corresponding action by the Greene County Board of Commissioners, which provided for the transfer of the Freeman City Hospital to Greene County for the establishment of Freeman-Greene County Hospital. In 1929, it began operating as Freeman-Greene County Hospital. The original hospital contained 22 beds. Employees included two nurses, a cook and a part-time janitor. The size and quality of the hospital helped make Linton the center of the coal mining boom in the early 1900s. It also helped make Linton a steadily developing community.
From 1912 to 1974, more than 14,000 babies were born at the old hospital. This number is substantial, especially when taking into consideration many births took place at home during the hospital’s early years of operation. The life of every person in the area was involved in the hospital in some way — whether it was through birth, illness or death.
The hospital’s first major expansion was in 1936 when an annex was completed. The annex included kitchen/cafeteria facilities, heating plant and 32 beds. The second expansion project was completed in 1954. This project included the addition of a surgical suite, delivery suite, X-ray department, clinical laboratory, emergency department and 16 beds.
Construction on the new hospital was started Dec. 10, 1970. Greene County General Hospital opened its doors in April 1974 at 1185 N. 1000 W., or Lone Tree Road. The old hospital was torn down on September 25, 1985, and a newly-built Wendy’s restaurant opened at that location on March 10, 1986.
The new Greene County General Hospital included an intensive care unit for coronary and post-surgical patients as well as enlarged x-ray, laboratory, and therapy facilities. In 1997, Greene County General Hospital’s Ambulatory Infusion Center was opened. The infusion center — which offers patients a variety of infusion therapy options — is across from the hospital in the Lone Tree Medical Center.
In 1999, the obstetric department was completely renovated offering new labor and delivery rooms as well as new recovery rooms. In 2003, Greene County General Hospital obtained a critical access hospital status, which limits the number of inpatient beds to 25. In February 2012, the hospital announced plans for a $7.5 million expansion/renovation, which will add approximately 8,500-square-feet of space to the facility. The project will primarily expand the emergency department; however, the main entrance, lab, radiology, pharmacy and physical therapy will also be expanded and/or renovated. The hospital broke ground for the expansion/renovation project in October.
Construction of Phase I, which includes the new emergency department addition as well as the new main entrance and physical therapy renovation, is scheduled to be completed in the third quarter of 2013. Construction of Phase II, which includes renovation of the mammography area, radiology area, ultrasound room and imaging department, is scheduled to be completed in the first quarter of 2014.