- Given to Fly
- Given to Fly: Improved ISU softball team already at milestone Two wins this weekend and the Indiana State softball team will have won more Missouri Valley Conference games than any team in the program’s history.
- Given To Fly: From Sultan of Swat to Master of Me With Barry Bonds three home runs away from Ruth’s second-best all-time mark of 714 home runs, the Chicago Cubs had Babe Ruth Day on Friday to commemorate Ruth’s “called shot” on Oct. 1, 1932, off Charlie Root in Game 3 of the World Series.
Given to Fly: Boeglin will pursue pro career overseas
Melanie Boeglin has made another step toward her goal of playing professional women’s basketball. She has hired an agent and will pursue playing overseas.
“What 22-year-old doesn’t want to go to Europe?” Indiana State Coach Jim Wiedie asked.
- Given to Fly: Vigo MVPs to play college hoops together
Given to Fly: ISU women have created own legacy of winning
Indiana women’s basketball coach Sharon Versyp referred to creating a culture of winning at IU before Monday’s game against Indiana State in front of more than 4,500 fans in Hulman Center.
Despite the outcome Monday in favor of the Hoosiers in as competitive of a college game as you will see, that culture of winning is still under construction in Bloomington with Versyp doing a fantastic job in her first year.
- Given to Fly: Indiana State women a long shot to get an at large bid to NCAA Tournament The goal was the NCAA Tournament. It’s still possible. While it’s hard to have its fate decided by a group of people who may have never seen Indiana State play women’s basketball this season, that’s the situation.
- Given to Fly: Depth helps ISU overcome foul trouble For Indiana State women’s basketball coach Jim Wiedie, Saturday’s Missouri Valley Conference Tournament semifinal game brought back memories of Melanie Boeglin’s freshman and sophomore seasons.
Given to Fly: Sycamores sock it to retro look
A big fan of Gonzaga’s Adam Morrison, Indiana State senior Kristen Weddle wanted the Sycamores to bring the same retro look that Morrison does for Friday’s Missouri Valley Conference quarterfinal game against Creighton. All of the players on ISU’s women’s basketball team wore high socks with two blue stripes.
Thankfully, none of the Sycamores had the same dirty mustache that Morrison sports.
Given to Fly: MVC tourney lines up well for Sycamores
While it is a bonus to not have to worry about playing the host team until Sunday in this weekend’s Missouri Valley Conference women’s basketball tournament, the MVC has plenty of teams capable of upsetting the Sycamores.
Indiana State has shown all season long that it is the best team in the league and Coach Jim Wiedie will get his team to its first NCAA Tournament. He might just collect his second MVC Coach of the Year Award at today’s award ceremony.
- Given to Fly: Don’t miss Senior Day this weekend Kudos to Old National Bank for buying 2,000 tickets for Saturday’s game against Evansville in Hulman Center. While the crowds have been growing the past few games to more than 4,000 fans, I’ll be disappointed with anything less than 5,000 fans to send Melanie Boeglin, Kristen Weddle, Lisa Verhoff, Ashley Clark and Erin Hendrickson out for Senior Day.
- Given to Fly: End of 18-game winning steak may have been wake-up call for Sycamore women All streaks come to an end, although most don’t end with 30-point losses. The Sycamores didn’t succumb to the pressure. The polls weren’t a factor. The winning streak wasn’t a factor. ISU picked a bad place to play a bad game. That happens to every team. Better to happen now than in the conference tournament.
Given to fly: Boeglin belongs on list of elite point guards
While Melanie Boeglin wouldn’t be the favorite for it, she was not even one of 11 nominees that were released for the 2006 Nancy Lieberman Award, which honors the nation’s top point guard.
No disrespect to the other players whatsoever, but Boeglin belongs on this list of nominees.
Given to Fly: Don’t look, Ethel! ISU teams streaking
If anyone sees Will Ferrell running naked through Indiana State University’s Lincoln Quad, I won’t be surprised.
In the movie “Old School,” the actor’s character “Frank the Tank” goes streaking through the streets by himself and declares, “We’re going streaking!”
One funnel full of beer wasn’t enough for Frank. “It tastes so good when it hits your lips.”
One streak isn’t good enough for ISU basketball.
The Indiana State women’s basketball team is going old school as it nears the halfway point of Larry Bird’s Sycamores’ 33-game winning streak in 1979.
- Given to Fly: Dominating Bears generates good feelings It’s probably difficult for you Indiana State women’s basketball fans to feel bad for Missouri State’s struggles, especially if you were in Hulman Center last Jan. 17 when 2005 MVC Player of the Year Jenni Lingor tallied 19 second-half points and finished off an SMS comeback with a 3-pointer in Kristen Weddle’s face at the buzzer to beat ISU 80-77.
- Given To Fly: James was key if Colts were to beat Steelers Peyton Manning will win the big game. And I’m talking about the Super Bowl, not a divisional playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Given to fly: Pacers shouldn’t let Artest fly coop without nest egg And the saga continues … who will the Indiana Pacers get for the multi-talented and simultaneously insane Ron Artest?
- Given to Fly: Salukis show defensive smarts uthern Illinois women’s basketball Coach Dana Eikenberg won’t be in the stands watching the Missouri Valley Conference Championships this March like she was in Redbird Arena last season.