- Given to Fly
- Given to Fly: Sycamores embracing underdog role at MVC Tournament The frustration of not living up to expectations can cause problems within any sports team, from the coach down to the players at the end of the bench.
- College notes: Valley talent leads ISU women’s track team in quest for MVC title The Indiana State women’s track team heads into this weekend’s Missouri Valley Conference championships looking for the team’s first indoor league title since 2001.
- Given to Fly: Wrapping up a crazy week of college hoops around the state This past week was definitely a news-filled week in the world of Indiana (particularly in Bloomington) and Wabash Valley basketball.
- Given to Fly: Former ISU runner Jordan Fife kicks his way into record books with sub-4-minute mile Before the prodigious achievement Saturday, Jordan Fife had been knocking on the door of a 4-minute mile for a few weeks.
- Given to Fly: Plethora of reasons to enjoy Pizza Hut Classic Not long after arriving at my parents’ home in rural northern Indiana on Christmas Eve, the Andy Williams song “It’s the most wonderful time of the year,” began coming from the living room speakers.
- Given to Fly: Blank soaking in moment with teammates, Gardner-Webb campus The week of Nate Blank's trip to Lexington, Ky., has been circled on his calendar since commiting to play for Gardner-Webb in April. The Terre Haute North grad had 12 points and drew three offensive fouls in his team's upset against Kentucky.
- Given to Fly: Additions to staff energizing ISU women’s hoops program If you’re only counting players, Indiana State’s women’s basketball program has just one newcomer, freshman post Kelsie Cooley. But the three new assistant coaches on staff are as excited as the players about getting started Sunday with an exhibition game against Bellarmine.
- Given to Fly: Waltman lands head-coaching job I must have missed the memo — got tied up with TPS reports — on this fall being the time to resurrect former Indiana State coaches. A week after former ISU coach Dennis Raetz was named interim head football coach for the Sycamores replacing Lou West, Royce Waltman has been named interim head basketball coach at the University of Indianapolis.
- Given to Fly: Kaperak is a worthy, but ‘lucky’ men’s city champion Anything can happen on the final day at Hulman Links, as Tribune-Star golf columnist Bob Arnett reiterated Sunday, and it nearly did in the final round of the WTHI Men’s City Championship.
- Given to Fly: Final rounds of men’s city tournament full of excitement This weekend’s final two rounds of the men’s city tournament should provide some interesting story lines. Tom Jones set himself up in great position to win his seventh title with a 68 at Hulman Links on Sunday.
Given' to Fly: Collins on verge of earning PGA Tour card
This may be the year. Don’t stop reading. This is not one of those sappy Chicago Cubs columns.
The wonderful year of the Bears-Colts Super Bowl and the first-place Chicago Cubs, 2007 may also be the year for Cloverdale’s Chad Collins to earn his PGA Tour card.
Dungy gets final look at reserves in preseason loss to Bengals
With backups handling much of the work for both teams, the Cincinnati Bengals did just enough in the second half to hang on for a 14-6 win over the Indianapolis Colts Friday night at Paul Brown Stadium.
Indianapolis and the Bengals both end the preseason with identical 1-3 records, with the Colts set to begin the regular season against New Orleans in a nationally-televised game Thursday night at the RCA Dome.
- Given to Fly: Manning, Colts arrival for camp this year special for longtime Unitas fan The best part of visiting Rose-Hulman to watch the Indianapolis Colts prepare to defend their Super Bowl XLI championship is standing near the sidelines at practice to witness Peyton Manning deliver passes to the hands of Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne with impeccable precision.
- Given to Fly: Reminiscing about ISU men’s tennis glory days When the Missouri Valley Conference released its all-century tennis team earlier this summer, it was a chance for Indiana State men’s tennis coach Jonas Piibor to reminisce about the days when he and his cohorts took the Sycamores’ program to its highest point — a national ranking of 17th in the nation in 2000.
- Given to Fly: Stuckey on track for eighth women’s city title It was only eight years ago that Cara Stuckey graduated from Terre Haute South High School after outstanding careers in golf and basketball. Stuckey tees off today looking for her eighth women's city title in nine years. If Stuckey continues to live in Terre Haute, who knows how many titles she could rack up?
- Given to Fly: Piniella has it right; Soriano should stay at top of order Manager Lou Piniella recently experimented with moving Chicago Cubs hitter Alfonso Soriano down to fifth in the lineup, hoping to spark his team’s struggles to produce against left-handed pitching.
Given to Fly: Indiana State’s John McNichols heads to Rio for Pan Am Games
In just more than a month, practice will have officially begun for John McNichols and his 25th men’s cross country team at Indiana State.
In the meantime, the 56-year-old leaves Tuesday on the trip of a lifetime.
- Given to Fly: IRL’s Patrick, Duno working toward respect in racing world Danica Patrick hopped from fifth to No. 2 in Harris Interactive’s annual poll of most popular female sports star — the IRL’s Patrick is sandwiched between the two Williams sisters (Serena at No. 1, Venus falling from last year’s top spot to third this year).
Given to Fly: Melanie Boeglin taking pro basketball career to Spain
As she had hoped, Melanie Boeglin is going from Sweden to southern Europe to continue her professional basketball career.
The recently turned 23-year-old former ISU standout was hoping to play in France, where younger sister Mary Beth, an international marketing/French major at Butler, will be spending the fall semester studying abroad. But Melanie will be in western Spain.
- Given to fly: Coach brings more than stability to softball team Clay County farmer Roger Rhodes’ thoughts on the family farm could also go for the Clay City softball team’s fortunes this season.
- Terre Haute marathoner sets sights on Olympic trials A Terre Haute marathoner made his first trip to Green Bay, Wis., last week to run the Green Bay Marathon expecting temperatures in the upper 50s or lower 60s. Instead, Scot Mullins raced Sunday in typical fall football weather. Temperatures at Lambeau Field were in the 30s after a storm hit Green Bay the night before the marathon.
Pugh ready to help revive Woods soccer
Erin Pugh has a passion and talent for soccer.
Those traits are exactly what St. Mary-of-the-Woods coach Mike Aycock is in need of to build his soccer program.
- Given to Fly: Freshmen blooming this spring across Valley Every spring season — and every other high school sports season — freshmen burst onto the high school varsity sports scene, making coaches and veterans in their respective sports take notice.
- Given to fly: No one ever accused ‘The Rocket’ of shooting too much in a game Many basketball fanatics have a laundry list of excuses not to watch the NBA.
- Given to Fly: Cubs, Cards will turn it around For the Cubs, there’s always next week.
- Given to Fly: Oden trying to make the right decision Greg Oden is turning to family, friends and his coach to make the right decision about his future basketball career. But Oden, whose basketball talents were spawned here in Terre Haute, is without a friend who was there for the 19-year-old from the beginning of his basketball playing days at the Terre Haute Boys Club.
- Given to Fly: Near end of her senior year, Maenpaa a big reason for ISU’s play The mutual respect between Coach Jim Wiedie and his only senior women’s basketball player was what gleamed through more than any of the bright basketball plays made by the Sycamores on Sunday in Hulman Center.
Given to Fly: Former TH North standout Dason thrives at West Point
Nick Dason’s schedule at West Point is as rigorous as he expected … and he’s loving every minute.
Before breakfast each day at 6:45 a.m., Dason joins his triathlon teammates — triathlon is a club sport at the U.S. Military Academy — for practice at 5:30 a.m.
- Given to Fly: North grad in center of Gator celebrations A member of Terre Haute North’s state-finalist golf teams in 1978 and 1979, University of Florida professor Greg Moreland doesn’t find time to hit the links nearly as often as he did in high school.
- Given to Fly: Could Kelly follow Alford to Southwest? Former Marshall, Ill., high school standout Jake Kelly is considering asking Iowa for a release from his national letter-of-intent, according to an Associated Press report.
- More Given to Fly Headlines