- From the Press Box
- FROM THE PRESS BOX: Win or lose, DeGroote basks in achievement West Vigo baseball coach Steve DeGroote triumphantly held West Vigo’s trophy aloft to an adoring Viking crowd at Victory Field on Saturday. As he showed it to every section of the sizable green-clad throng, the look on his face was one of pure joy.
- From The Press Box: IHSAA just never gets it right Ah spring. The greening of the trees. The start of baseball. The Indianapolis 500. And IHSAA postseason bungling. Once again, the spring sports postseason cycle has exposed the obvious — the IHSAA does not know how to handle its class system, a viable postseason schedule, or how to make the postseason accessible to the average fan and manageable for the average school district.
- From the Press Box: ISU fans put to the test by winning baseball From a purely baseball standpoint, there’s plenty of reasons to spend a few bucks to see the Sycamores play. The most obvious that they’re in the middle of a Missouri Valley Conference pennant race.
- Is it over yet? NFL Draft overkill is jammin’ me I don’t often channel Tom Petty, but on the grand, glorious uber-national holiday that is the NFL Draft, I can’t get him out of my head today.
From the Press Box: ISU baseball championship talk? Why not?
Going into season, Indiana State’s baseball aspirations — at least as seen by those not on the team — were modest. Rightfully so given where the Sycamores have been in the Missouri Valley Conference pecking order in recent seasons.
The goal was simple: do what the Sycamores haven’t done since 2005 … qualify for the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament. Once the trip to Wichita was clinched, anything from there would be gravy as ISU coach Lindsay Meggs’ continued to build the program.
- From the Press Box: Kelly case highlights NCAA eligbility absurdity It all seems so obvious. Jake Kelly suffers a tragedy when his mother tragically dies in a June, 2008 plane crash. Kelly wants to transfer to a school closer to his home, giving up a burgeoning Big Ten career to do so.
From the Press Box: A reluctant vote to expand the NCAA tournament field
Yes! The first two days of the NCAA Tournament!
Along with baseball opening day, the Indianapolis 500, and a few other events, there’s nothing on the annual sports calendar I anticipate more. Upsets! Cinderella stories! Teams you’ve never heard of rising to the occasion!
- From the Press Box: Duncan keeps the future bright at Marshall The future for Marshall twin brothers Logan and Lucas Eitel is blue — Sycamore blue. Both will be walk-ons for Indiana State’s men’s basketball program next season. Even though the Eitels stamp on the Marshall boys basketball program is massive — no Lions team has ever gone as far in a rich basketball history — there’s no reason for Marshall to be blue just because the Eitels will be.
- From the Press Box: Tunnell deserved a good day From the time he stepped foot on Indiana State’s campus in 2005, it hasn’t been easy for Indiana State senior forward Jay Tunnell. The tally since Tunnell came to ISU as a highly-touted freshman from Topeka, Kan., is as follows: two coaches, three (at least) knee surgeries, 51 victories, 70 losses, 112 starts, 1,133 points.
- From the Press Box: ISU’s best win in five years led to sleepless night I just got home after the drive from Normal, Ill. … and I can’t get to sleep. Sportswriters — good ones anyway — pride themselves on being objective. We’re not fans, we’re not cheerleaders, we’re there to do a job. Most of the time, we do it coldly and matter-of-factly.
- From The Press Box: After loss, Sycamores vow to look in the mirror There was a lot for the Indiana State men’s basketball players to be embarrassed about after its 65-59 loss to Evansville at Hulman Center on Sunday.
- From the Press Box: On-again, off-again nature will be Colts’ undoing It was all wine and roses for the Indianapolis Colts after their 31-21 victory over the Detroit Lions on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium. After all, a win is a win. The Colts have seven of them in a row, they’re 10-4, and poised for their seventh straight playoff season.
- From the Press Box: Sycamores can’t avoid their ‘big three’ After Indiana State was routed by 40 points against Louisville on Saturday, ISU coach Kevin McKenna said the other two games at Louisville’s Freedom Hall would test the toughness and character of the Sycamores.
From the Press Box: ISU’s players take matters into their own hands before Lamar victory
If it appeared that Indiana State’s players were slow to react to their lowly lot in an 0-6 start, you weren’t the only one to notice.
After some prodding from the ISU coaching staff, the Sycamores decided that the team’s soul-searching needed to be done in the open. After regular team meetings with the coaches on Saturday night, the players had a team-only meeting to try and cure what had ailed ISU in its poor start.
- From the Press Box: Bitter loss, but a good future for Sycamores What else can you feel but pity for the Indiana State football team? In asking that, I know I’m treading on thin ice. Players don’t want to hear about pity, it can be condescending toward the effort they put in to win. No player wants anyone to feel sorry for them.
- From the Press Box: ISU won’t truly make progress until it becomes a fabric of TH life One of the first things you see when you de-plane at Fargo, N.D.’s tiny Hector Airport is a green-and-yellow North Dakota State athletics advertisement. No big deal you might think, until you realize it’s just the first salvo in a NDSU marketing blitz.
From the Press Box: Unheralded Colts bail out Manning and the stars
If you came to Pittsburgh’s Heinz Field to see Indianapolis Colts’ stars show their stuff, you probably walked away disappointed.
Peyton Manning? He got better as the game went along, but was not consistently on the mark thoughout the game, Manning completed a pedestrian 21 of 40 passes for 240 yards — 81 of the yards off Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor’s hands and into Reggie Wayne’s for two receptions including a touchdown.
- From the Press Box: Can ISU men follow in Drake’s path? It was probably asking too much. The question was posed to the Missouri Valley Conference coaches: Which team that finished in the bottom half of the league has the chance to be this year’s Drake?
- From The Press Box: Ryan Roberts is the man at QB for Sycamores There is no way on God’s green earth you can pinpoint one position on the Indiana State football team and say, ‘that’s where the problem lies.’ ISU’s problems are way too deep-seeded and spread throughout nearly every phase of the game to boil ISU’s 0-8 start down to one position.
- From the Press Box: Boom! Pow! Colts’ defense rises up Baltimore’s visit to Lucas Oil Stadium was supposed to be what you might call a Batman game. Boom! Pow! Zap! The Ravens’ running game was going to put a hurt on the Indianapolis Colts’ Joker-like run defense. It was a Batman game all right … the Ravens got clocked.
- From the Press Box: Colts fans, welcome to the great outdoors You just can’t take your eyes off Lucas Oil Stadium. It was the star of the show during its debut Sunday, certainly more so than the mostly listless Indianapolis Colts were.
From the Press Box: An open letter to Dr. Daniel Bradley on Indiana State University athletics
Dear Dr. Daniel Bradley,
Welcome to Terre Haute! And I mean, welcome to Terre Haute. The presence of the university president in the city the university calls home is a welcome site indeed for ISU students, faculty, administrators and alumni.
- From the Press Box: ISU’s transition starts with camaraderie There are no expansion teams in college football, but if there were, the Indiana State football program would come close to fitting the bill.
- From The Press Box: Soccer has come a long way Throughout the Euro 2008 soccer tournament, the Tribune-Star has tried its best to let you know all of the goings on in Switzerland and Austria in what has been a thrilling tournament. That alone shows how far soccer has come, but it really hit home for me during a conversation earlier this week.
- From the Press Box: Danica was out of control When Dan Wheldon won the 2005 Indianapolis 500, he wasn’t pleased that his winning thunder was stolen by then-rookie Danica Patrick.
- From the Press Box: Wooster coach fires back at ‘classless’ accusation by Rose It must be said that Friday’s NCAA Division III baseball regional between Rose-Hulman and Wooster, won by Wooster 11-8 in 13 innings on a two-out grand slam, was the most unusual game I have ever covered in my 16-year career, and conceivably, one of the most fascinating baseball games I’ve witnessed in 30 years of watching baseball as a fan or reporter.
- IU’s Phegley rocks the Big Ten with .447 average If you were late for Josh Phegley’s college baseball coming out party, don’t worry about it, Phegley probably doesn’t mind.
- From the Press Box: Enthusiasm a great way to start out for IU's Crean Indiana University introduced new men’s basketball coach Tom Crean in the Hoosier Room in the bowels of Memorial Stadium on Wednesday.
- From the Press Box: Nostradamus is quaking in his boots, it’s baseball prediction time Hey! Remember back in September when I picked the Chargers and Rams to meet in Super Bowl XLII? In print? For all of the Tribune-Star and Tribstar.com’s readers to see?
- There’s nothing like a unified opening day Yep. The opening day of the IndyCar season is a beautiful thing. At long last.
- More From the Press Box Headlines