Special to the Tribune-Star
I always liked Granola bars. Also Granola, to eat by handful. Pat Coolley always keeps granola on hand to nibble on. I don’t like raisins so I use dried cherries or cranberries instead. Instead of brown sugar use Splenda or your choice. I also use sugar-free syrup. So my husband, Gene, can eat these bars, too. This recipe comes from Rose Hill Community Church.
This is good for every one of us. Enjoy.
Healthy Granola Bars
2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 cup raisins or dried fruit of choice
1/2 cup dry roasted nuts
1/2 cup white Karo syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1/2 cup peanut butter
• Mix oats, rice cereal, raisins and peanuts together in large bowl. Set aside.
• In sauce pan mix white syrup and brown sugar.
• Bring to a boil, add peanut butter and mix well.
• Pour mixture over dry mixture and blend well.
• Pat into a 9- by 13-inch pan sprayed with nonstick coating.
• Cool about 30 minutes and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.