Special to the Tribune-Star
TERRE HAUTE —
This recipe comes from Ruth Baker. She sent a lot of rhubarb recipes. I have been putting them in the paper for the last three years. I’ve almost used most of them. Some I have used more than others. Mary Hunter also had this recipe. I have made this a lot. Gene really likes this. I use sweetener and yellow or white sugar-free cake mix. The only sugar I put in this recipe is in the marshmallows. Adjust for this. Our grandkids also enjoy this cake. Thanks to Ruth and Mary.
• Bring to boil:
3 cups rhubarb, cut up
11⁄2 cups water
1 cup sugar
• Remove from heat and add:
1 3-ounce package strawberry Jell-O
A few drops of red food coloring (optional)
• Stir to mix well; set aside.
• Grease bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
• Cover with 2 cups miniature marshmallows.
• Prepare one box white cake mix, using 2 whole eggs.
• Pour over marshmallows.
• Pour rhubarb mixture over batter.
• Bake 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, until lightly brown.
Serve with Cool Whip or ice cream.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.