Special to the Tribune-Star
When we were farming, I always had to take lunch (and sometimes an evening meal) to the fields. The lunch was bigger than the evening meal (they get real sleepy when they have a big evening meal). I was going through some of my old, old recipes. When I was in Home Extension we gave demonstrations. I did field lunches. They were always so good and easy. I’m going to bring it up to date; instead of the oven, I use a slow cooker.
Pork Chops and Potatoes Dinner
4 cups thinly sliced raw potatoes
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
4 pork chops
• Spread potatoes in large slow cooker.
• Combine soup, milk, onion,1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Pour over top of potatoes.
• Sprinkle pork chops with remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt.
• Brown slowly on both sides in hot oil in a skillet.
• Arrange browned pork chops on top of potatoes.
• Cook on low or medium until potatoes are done. About 3 to 31⁄2 hours — or you may put all into a baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for 11⁄4 hours, or until potatoes ar tender.
NOTE: You can add more or less according to how many servings you need.
Jackie Lindley is a great-grandmother and retired Clark County, Ill., farmer. Send comments and recipes to her at 20472 E. 500th Road, West Union, IL 62477.